Inquiry - [9] - A Tale of Three

Perhaps, Jin Ling should've thought about this more. Instead, he'd foolishly let Lan Jingyi and Lan Sizhui follow him to sneak after his uncle.

And now, as all three of them hang suspended in the middle of the air. Jin Ling really, really regretted letting the other two tail him. After having Lan Sizhui force him into relenting, he was already at the end of his temper, but the man had a right to. It was his parents after all. But when Lan Jingyi begged to come as well, well, Jin Ling and him had argued the whole way here.

And they had been so unaware, while Lan Sizhui tried breaking the argument up. God bless his soul, that they'd walked straight into a trap. Somehow, Jin Ling feels as if this is the universe's way to get back at him, for pulling the same trick on Wei Wuxian.

Who, currently, was laughing at them.

"Wei Wuxian!" Jin Ling yelled, hoping he sounded like his uncle. "Let us down, or I swear I'll break your legs!"

Wei Wuxian just laughed more, a hand on his waist as he fell over.

"Stealing my phrases and sneaking after me now, Jin Ling?"

And Jin Ling swore, if there's any god out there, he'll be a monk for the rest of his fucking life if his Uncle spared him right here. When the net spun around, he's faced with the image of his uncle with his purple lightning whip. And gods, Jin Ling is practically gonna faint on the spot.

But before he can even open his mouth, Lan Sizhui spoke up.

"Jiang Sect Leader, it is not Jin Ling's fault for being here."

His uncle raised an eyebrow, obviously not convinced but willing to hear more from a Lan. "Oh really, or are you just protecting him?"

"Jingyi and I wanted to trail after Wei Gong Zi after we found the note," Lan Sizhui said, lying all too easily. "Jin Ling tried to stop us, but we did not listen and so he followed us here."

For someone who lived in a sect where lying is forbidden, Lan Sizhui is an awfully good liar. Even his uncle seems convinced, as he nodded and then Jin Ling is thrown onto the ground and being helped up by the liar himself.

"Thank you," he whispered and Lan Sizhui only nodded slightly.

***

Wei Wuxian is far from surprised at his nephew and son's appearance. In fact, he was expecting them to be honest, except the fact that they began after them and still reached them so quickly because they'd been traveling on swords.

God, the only man who has stuck with him from beginning to end is about to marry someone else and he couldn't even get to him in time.

Lan Xichen must've noticed the change in his face because he pulled Wei Wuxian to the side. "Lan Zhan will hesitate. Do not fret."

That shouldn't have been as comforting as it was.