"Well, whatever it is just know I'm here for you. I want you to be able to trust me because I-I really care about you and I don't want you to face anything alone." He gives her hand a reassuring squeeze.

"I'm sorry, it's a habit. I'm not really used to having anyone besides Alex." Maya's face drops as she thinks of her sister.

Maya appreciates his concern for her, it's comforting to know that he cares enough.

The waitress walks up the table with both of their drinks in her hands. She places them onto the table before taking out her notepad, "Are you guys ready to order?"

Timothée releases Maya's hand and picks his menu up and tells the waitress his meal.

***

Maya tucks her cold hands inside of her coat pockets. "What's the plan now?" She asks him.

"There's this museum by Central Park that's still open" Timothée shrugs his shoulders before looking over towards her.

"That sounds like a plan, it's so cold out." Maya crinkles her nose.

They both begin to walk faster, Timothée holds his hand out towards Maya. She looks down at it before intertwining her hand with his.

"I could get used to this." Timothée smiles as he looks down at their hands.

Maya feels her stomach sink, she's nervous. She can't seem to figure out why it's just Timothée her best friend.

He's complicating everything for her. She can't seem to understand whether she wants to pull him close and kiss him or shove him away then run.

But right now option two sounds good for her.
"I baked you a cake." Maya's cheeks turn pink.
She hides her face into her scarf to prevent Timothée from seeing them.

But it's too late, he caught her. His mouth curves into a smile.

"No way, you baked me a cake?" Timothée teases.

"It's red velvet, your favorite. I hope it still is, I wanted to gift you something. Although it's not something that's worth anything." She rambles while looking down at the ground as they walk.

"Hey, it's okay I'm grateful for anything you give me. Nothing's too small and red velvet cake is still, in fact, my favorite cake." He drops her hand and opens the museum door. 

"Thank you, sir," Maya says sarcastically, he shakes his head at Maya and laughs.

"You're something else may, I mean it. you're such an amazing person and I'm so grateful that you were dumb enough to text the wrong number." Timothée stops in his tracks to turn around and face her.

Maya doesn't know what else to say but she does the only thing she can think of and it is to hug him.

"You've made the past months bearable, I'm grateful for you too," Maya mumbles into his chest.
Timothée places his chin onto the top of her head and hugs her tighter.

***

"You know that you don't have to walk me up to my apartment." Maya points towards the building behind her. "It's fine, I mean I still have a cake to eat." Timothée holds his arm out towards Maya.

She grabs into his arm and hooks her arm onto his.
They begin to walk towards the building, Maya reaches forward and opens the door.

"Let's take the stairs," Maya tells him.

She walks ahead of him on the way up the stairs until they're both standing outside her apartment door. Once they're standing their neither of them says a word.

He looks down at her and that's when she notices how he looks at her. He looks at her as if she's the only girl he's ever seen.

"Sorry, I don't know what just happened," Maya says while breaking her gaze. She starts searching through her purse for the apartment keys.

Once she finds the keys she begins unlocking the door. But before she can place the keys back into her purse she drops the keys onto the floor. Maya groans at her clumsiness. Timothée chuckles lightly at her reaction.

He reaches down to pick up her keys and her thanks him once he's given them back to her. She shoves the keys into her back pocket.

She can feel his eyes on the top of her head, it makes her heart pound. She feels her knees get weak, the
silence is anything but comfortable.

It feels thick and tense.

Maya clears her throat in an attempt to break the silence but she fails. She looks up at Timothée and it seems that he never took his eyes off of her.

Maybe the time has stopped but Mayas not sure when it happens but before she can register anything she feels how soft Timothée feels against her lips.

It's not clear if Maya has ever thought of this moment before. But right now, it's as if she has been waiting for this moment her entire life.

Her hands reach up to cup his cheeks, he's invaded all her senses. His skin is soft to the touch with his rosy cheeks.

Timothée squints his eyes open to sneak a guilty peek. Her eyebrows are furrowed while she smiles into the kiss.

For the first time in a very long time Maya feels safe, she doesn't feel the weight of the world on her shoulders.

Her body feels like it's going to cave in underneath her as she pulls away. Maya's nose brushes against his as she catches her breath.

Timothée brushes the strand of hair away from the face. She pulls her forehead away from his.

Maya can't seem to find the perfect words to say. There's so much to say right now but nothing is coming out of her mouth.

"I should go." Maya whispers, she quickly turns around and grabs the doorknob. Slamming the door behind her quick enough to send Timothée the hint that she did not want him inside of her home.

He stands there at a loss for words.

Maya can't believe she just did that to him.