Chapter One - Welcome to Westerburg High

HIIIIII okay uh this is an A/N just so ya kNow

i might do a get to know me chapter a lillll later on if yall are interested but till then let's get starteddd oh also if you see bold like this thas me givin u a little a/n type deal in the middle of the story cause im tryna make a joke or somethin

this is a modern heathers au!

first time writing in a while so im a bit rusty,,, but enjoy :')

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Y/N's POV

I wake up to my alarm blaring as usual, but as I roll to my right to turn it off, I remember what day it is.

"SHIT," I exclaim. It's September 1st, 2019, my first day at a new school, Westerburg High School. I lay on my bed for a while, reminiscing about my life back in [hometown] and wishing I were back there, where everything was familiar. After a minute of pondering, I reach over to turn off my alarm, which reads 6:46 AM. 

Why does this school start so early? I think as I roll out of bed and head to my closet. ;) After shuffling through my options, I settle on a shirt with butterflies on it and a tan skirt with a belt. 

As I leave my room, I spot a cardigan a similar color to the skirt hanging over my desk chair, which I throw over my shoulder in case I get cold during the school day.

^^ this is the outfit, if you don't like it just conjure up somethin in your style!

I head down the stairs, careful not to wake my 5-year-old sister, Winona (COUGH also if this happens to be your name feel free to replace winona with whatever name) and say a quiet hello to my dad, who is sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee and looking at his phone, likely playing a game of some sort, which, if I had to guess, is probably Candy Crush. 

I grab a granola bar, my backpack, and head out to the front porch and sit on the steps, waiting for the bus to arrive. I would totally drive myself to school, but the car we DO have, my dad needs for work, so I'm stuck with the bus. Maybe this will at least give me a good chance to make a friend in the neighborhood.

I've already been sitting on the porch for five minutes and get pretty bored, so I decide to take out my phone and scroll through Instagram for a little bit. 

Suddenly, my attention shifts from Instagram to the house across the street, as the front door opens and an INCREDIBLY gorgeous blonde steps out. It almost looks like she's wearing some sort of uniform- 

Oh god, what if we need a uniform for this school and no one told me?! There's no way, the school provided me with all the necessary information I needed before I transferred, and if there were a uniform, I would know.

I calm myself down and focus on the girl again. She's clad in a plaid blazer, red skirt, and white shirt under the blazer - the look was almost... vintage, while still modern at the same time. All I know is that she is absolutely stunning. Wow, I'm so gay.  And I probably shouldn't be this attracted to someone this early on when I haven't even seen any other students yet.

Finally, the bus pulls to a stop in front of my house. The door is on the other side of the street... which means I have to walk over to that cute girl's house to get on the bus. Great.

Although, I guess either way we'd have to walk to each other's side... I cross the street, trying to look as nonchalant as possible, and board the bus.

When I get up the stairs of the bus, the first thing I notice is that its pretty much entirely full. Lucky for me and my social anxiety, I manage to find a completely empty seat, which I slink into in relief. Then I remember there were no other empty seats left. Which means the girl has to sit with me.

She boards the bus after me, narrowing her eyes at all the full seats, until she spots me sitting alone and rolls her eyes.

"Is the seat next to you taken? I would sit somewhere else, but these morons don't understand that I'm clearly in charge here," Woah, feisty. 

"Nah, it's not taken, I'm new here and have zero friends, so go ahead. I'm Y/N, by the way," I manage to reply way more smoothly than I thought I'd be able to. Go me!

"Heather," she replies firmly, and sits down, placing her bag gently on her lap. She pulls out the newest iPhone model and starts tapping away. 

After a painfully quiet (at least for me, I can't say the same for the rest of the bus) bus ride, we arrived at school.

I got off the bus and found a spot on the lawn in front of the school. We still had about 15 minutes until we were allowed inside the building, so I set my bag down and rested my back against a tree. 

Then, I spotted Heather with two other girls dressed in similar outfits to hers, but they were each wearing a different color. There was a girl not as tall as Heather with dark brown hair wearing green and an even shorter girl with a brassy blonde colored hair wearing yellow. (i know mcnamara is taller in the movie shhhh)

This school is weird, this has gotta be some clique shit or something. 

I scanned the lawn again and my eyes landed on two girls - one wearing a pink sweater with a big unicorn on it, and the other wearing a jean jacket with some floral pants (just so you know i'll be changing the outfits up a bit to be more modern, and veronica is pre heathers transformation rn).

They have similar haircuts, but the girl wearing the sweater has longer hair, and its a little bit lighter than jean jacket girl's hair. Jean jacket girl catches my eye and smiles, and sweater girl turns to see who her friend is looking at. The girl wearing the sweater waves at me to go over to them, and I think for a few seconds before deciding to head over.

"Hi, I'm Veronica! Are you new here?" Jean jacket girl- Veronica- asks.

"Yes! I just moved here from [hometown], I'm Y/N,"

"I've been to [hometown]! I'm Martha, by the way," the girl wearing the sweater says with a huge grin on her face.

"Really? How did you like it?" I question.

"There was so much to do! I love the big shopping mall they have there!" Martha replies, still smiling as big as before. listen i don't care if you don't have a shopping mall in your hometown congrats you have one now HDJKSHFG

I opened my mouth to say something else, but suddenly, the bell rang, signalling that it was time to go into the building.

Before heading in, I turned around to see where Heather was or if she had already headed in. I spotted her with the same two girls as earlier. We made eye contact, and she gave me a quick evil eye, then turned back to her friends.

Something about her fascinates me, but I don't know what it is quite yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i skip from present to past tenses so much i'm so sorry, i'll try to fix that in later chapters but its always been a bad writing habit for me :((

i haven't written for fun in at least a year and a half and because of quarantine all my memory of good grammar went whoosH

anyways i hope you enjoyed the first chapter even though it was just background stuff! feel free to leave constructive criticism

~meg <3

[1206 words, not including author's notes]