Chapter Eleven

Gilbert groaned as the building residents refused him once again. They insisted there was no Erszebet Herdervary living here, that they had never heard of that woman before.

As he walked down the street, he started checking his phone, not really paying attention to his surroundings. It was a quiet day, it wasn't like he'd get hit by a car. Besides, most people avoided him anyways, so it didn't matter. He only looked up to see if Kiku was coming. He hadn't been responding to his calls or texts at all, and they had gone out here together.

After a brief moment if hesitation, he called Roland.

"... Hello?"

"Roland, it's Gilbert. I need to ask you something. "

"Uh, sure, what is it?"

"How do you know Erszebet?"

The line went so silent, Gilbert had thought Roland hung up, but he spoke up a second later.

"How do you know the informant?"

"The wha-" Gilbert gasped as his phone was yanked out of his hand and thrown aside, a hand wrapping around his wrist.

"Hey, stop- HELP-" He called out, being shoved to the ground, a foot pressing against his chest.

His hands were tied behind his back, a cloth shoved into his mouth. "Better stop screaming, whore. " The man snarled. "Don't wanna end up like your little friend. "

Gilbert was picked up and shoved in the trunk of a car, pushed up against someone smaller than him. The trunk lid slammed shut, the car starting soon after. Gilbert struggled against the ropes on his wrists, looking down at the other person occupying the trunk.

Kiku's eyes met his, wide and fearful. He was breathing heavily, curled up a little on himself. Gilbert glanced around, sporting a few dents on the roof of the trunk. Looks like Kiku had put up a fight.

Gilbert sighed and curled close to Kiku, doing his best to comfort him for the rest of the ride.

Once the car parked, they were yanked out of the trunk and dragged inside an old, decrepit house. There a few others in there, all of them looking at Kiku and Gilbert with hungry eyes they were dragged down a set of stairs to a large basement.

In the absent sat two large cages, one of which was occupied already. Kiku and Gilbert were shoved in the other one, the heavy door shut and locked after their restraints were removed.

Gilbert slammed himself against the door before sliding to the ground, eyes widening as he caught sight of some old bloodstains on the floor.

"You'll get used to it.... " A voice whispered from the cage beside theirs.

Kiku looked over at the cage, crawling closer to where the cages sat pressed together. "Who are you?"

The man sat hunched over in a corner, long platinum hair matted and tangled. His pale skin was marked with bruises and old cuts. He looked up at them with pale blue eyes.

"I'm Gilen Kaunderbacht. "

Roland scrambled for his phone, answering it quickly. "Yes? What do you have?"

A woman's voice answered immediately, a tone of worry in it.

"I found Gilen. But you're not gonna like what else I found. "