As Meya assumed the role of Coris and Gillian to play her version of Heist in her brain, the Baron and the Marquess's chat droned on.

"Yes, I understand you, my dear man. Though I've always been, still am, a skeptic of Uriel's interpretation, this time I fully support you." Fratengarde dabbed at his sweaty forehead with a handkerchief then waved it in frustration, "Freda's damnation aside, we can't possibly get a trade that's been outlawed for two hundred years back up in a month, can we?"

"Exactly. Our best course of action would be to investigate the ships' disappearance and bring back some ores as soon as possible." Baron Kellis agreed solemnly, "And in the meantime, limit the use of metals, but His Majesty won't be pleased if we touch his reforms."

Despite her pressing matters, Meya couldn't help her mounting curiosity. The Baron had been talking about this thing with ore ships and the king's reforms with the other lords, too.

Some of the lords agreed with the Baron about solving the ship problem and continuing to ship ores from Everglen, but some were adamant about finally lifting the Mining Ban and resuming mining in Latakia, to stabilisize our ekonony, or some thingy. Unfortunately, the king was all for lifting the ban, too.

"Books and coins for the commoner, eh?" Fratengarde chuckled as if the idea was incredulous,

"I've known His Majesty since he was a young squire. Far-sighted dreamer he's always been, but in times like these, we need eyes grounded in the present. Take it one step at a time. He won't get his reforms unless he can get us enough metal to survive this year." He took a large swig from his mug of ale.

"Alden is young, naïve. He won't simply surrender his dreams. I've been thinking perhaps, we might need to be discreet rather than drastic." Baron Kellis caressed his mustache as he shot an insinuating look at Fratengarde, "This is where you come in, my lord."

The two men exchanged knowing looks. The Baroness and Zier seemed to have no trouble deciphering the secret message, so although Meya had no clue what was going on, she strived to seem well-informed as well.

"I take it you're talking about my niece," Fratengarde broke away first. He nodded with a heavy sigh as he patted Kellis's shoulder.

"I will try, my good man, but I can't promise anything. Zephyr is a woman with her own mind. Very much like your fine lady here." Baroness Sylvia blushed, swaying as she waved the compliment away. Perhaps Meya had imagined it, but her movements seemed...sluggish?

"She's mostly kept her lips sealed, and Alden will listen to his queen when she does speak, so it all depends on her opinion."

The same phenomenon spread to Marquess Fratengarde; he swayed on his feet, his eyes drooped close then snapped open again. He waggled his wooden mug, his speech slow and slurred,

"So far, she hasn't said anything, but if it turns out she backs Alden, I'm afraid there's little I can do to persuade her..."

"Sylvia!"

A split-second after Fratengarde dropped to the floor as if bludgeoned in the head, Baroness Sylvia fell lifelessly into Baron Kellis's arms. Rousing his wife in vain, Kellis staggered toward the nearest chair, then he too collapsed.

Yet, there were no screams from the surrounding women, nor noblemen barking orders for servants to tend to their lord. As Meya stared in horror, lords and ladies teetered where they stood then crumpled to the floor.

Dancing couples fell onto each other. Those sitting around tables smacked their faces into their mugs or the tabletop or slid off to the floor. Minstrels slumped against their instruments, guards against the wall or their weapons. Maids and manservants dropped their drink trays with much clattering, soaking them as they tumbled.