Chapter 29 - The Delegation

Start from the beginning

Aerham had expected to be unable to sleep, knowing he was going to be exiled the following morning, but he drifted off to sleep almost immediately.

"Who let them in? I want him punished severely," came the angry voice of Uth Arthgrin. "They should not have seen him. This is intolerable."

Aerham heard heavy footsteps and he opened his eyes to the orange sky. The sun was already above the distant horizon but was blocked by the nearby Dragon Mountains. His stomach growled, but two days of meat and bread had returned some of his strength. He sat up in his cage, rattling the shackles on his wrists and ankles. His clothing was stiff from too many days of wear and he could smell his own body odor.

Uth Arthgrin wore his blue robe, stomping across the courtyard. His words had been spoken in a low tone and Aerham had only overheard them as the man had passed the wagon. Four soldiers in red tunics stumbled in his wake, trying to keep up.

On the far side of the courtyard, moving through the open gates were seven men in yellow robes, accompanied by twenty soldiers in the split black and yellow tunics which heralded the Guards of the Republic.

When Uth Arthgrin reached them, there were bows and salutes from both sides. They were too far away for Aerham to overhear anything, but after several moments the group moved towards his cage wagon.

The seven men in yellow robes were all gray haired, though some were balding. Only two were clean shaven, the remaining five wore thick beards. The twenty soldiers followed at a short distance behind, hands on their weapons, wary of a threat.

"As you can see, Senators, he has been treated fairly considering his crimes," explained Uth Arthgrin, gesturing toward Aerham.

"Well, I want to see this Uth Garenthil," demanded a balding senator with bushy eyebrows.

"Yes, Uth Arthgrin, where is this knight of yours?" another asked.

"Senator Ferdaen reported to us several days ago and he made some terrible claims against the man," the senator with the eyebrows continued. "Then a messenger caught up to us last night with even worse news. This same Brother of the Sun fought against our Guards of the Republic on the very streets of our capital!"

"It's an outrage," another old senator stated calmly.

"We have no choice but to condemn the actions of your Brotherhood and hold you accountable," another senator added.

Aerham shook his head slowly. Senator Ferdaen had outdone himself. He had returned to Sylvestyr and reported the stories about Uth Garenthil and Aerham's wrongful imprisonment. Then he had sent a commission to investigate and made sure that even worse news reached them before their arrival. Aerham assumed it was Senator Ferdaen's doing. That senator was definitely involved, even if he had not acted alone. Aerham wanted to see justice for Uth Garenthil and Uth Arthgrin, but he did not want the Brotherhood of Light to suffer in any lasting manner.

"Yes, we are immediately withdrawing our soldiers," the bushy eyebrowed senator continued. "You will also release this boy to our custody." He pointed a crooked finger at the cage. Uth Arthgrin began to protest and the senator silenced him with a wave of his hand. "If you wish to avoid being imprisoned for treason against the republic, you will be silent and do as you are told."

Uth Arthgrin's worn face tightened. He rubbed his short beard once more. Finally, he shifted his posture, folding his arms across his chest, jaw muscles tightening for a moment. "Yes, Senator Gasians, I am listening."

"How can you listen if you are talking?" The bushy eyebrowed Senator Gasians chided. More than one Guard of the Republic had to stifle a snicker.

Uth Arthgrin openly scowled.