Ah, crap. Is it supposed to be common knowledge among the nobility?

Meya ignored the chill trickling down her spine, staring at Coris with big, round eyes filled with curiosity. At last, Coris nodded,

"It's a treasure that has been in our clan for over two hundred years, from when our ancestor, Maxus Hadrian, was knighted. Some believe it's the reason the Wynn kings had always treated us Hadrians with respect, at times even fear. But now that the Wynns had been overthrown, no one would know the true reason why, except the incumbent Baron Hadrian. Still, that has never discouraged our rivals from trying to seize it at all costs."

Meya's hand curled into a fist on the pillow. There was no solid proof yet, but this might be what the bandits are after. And to think a casual conversation about Coris' frail health somehow led her straight to it. To think, after one night together, the Hadrian heir was sitting there, telling her everything about his clan's most coveted possession as if they were discussing the weather. 

What was he thinking? Was he really this stupid? Did he trust her that much?

Never underestimate Coris Hadrian, Arinel had said. Coris would have an ulterior motive for this, wouldn't he?

"Six years ago, there was a heist. The first one since I could remember." said Coris in his calm, airy voice, "Being the heir, having proven my hand in the Siege of Cristoria, I was put in charge of The Axel's protection as part of my training. I couldn't stand losing The Axel and my father's favor, so I put it in my mouth and fled down the secret passageway in my room."

Meya gaped at the ridiculous story. Coris shrugged,

"Prodigy I may be, I was twelve. A young mind is susceptible to the venom of praise and expectation." He admitted with a wry grin, "I thought I was safe. As it turned out, a couple of mercenaries stumbled upon the tunnel's exit and was standing guard. I was so startled, I swallowed The Axel whole."

"You swallowed it?" Meya cried as her brain lit up. If this Axel were what Gillian was after, it would explain why he seemed so dead set on gutting his victims.

"I love food. I'm used to swallowing everything in my mouth," said Coris blandly with a tilt of his head, "Fortunately, some guards arrived, and I was saved in the nick of time, but some of the mercenaries managed to escape."

Meya shivered as she gathered her pillow to her chest. She could guess where the story was heading.

"Father wasn't taking any chances. The Axel must be taken out as soon as possible."

"But—it's not that big a deal, is it? You could just wait for your body to—get rid of it. Naturally."

Meya struggled for the right word. Though she'd slept with Coris, seen him in his birthday suit, witnessed him eating, the fact that he also must expel his stuff still felt surreal. He was a nobleman—putting all these men decked out in lavish, resplendent robes together with toilet imagery was disconcerting.

"That's the catch, it wouldn't come out no matter how long we waited." Coris shook his head,

"Surgery is banned. So, the healers gave me laxatives. Stomach massages. Prayers. Everything they could think of. Nothing was effective. In the end, Father summoned a famous healer from Meriton. He gave me a cure that made me vomit. Over and over."

Meya slapped her hand over her gasping mouth. Coris' eyes were lifeless as his low, emotionless voice,

"It was bitter. It smelled acrid, with a taste to match. I actually felt it traveling down my throat, my gullet, into my bowels, then back up again. It burned like acid and fire combined. Drinking water was torture, but it did what it was meant to. I vomited The Axel on the third night."