Rekindle

...
...
SLAM!

The door nearly smacked Joxter right in the nose with its sheer force. The mumrik stumbled back, nearly crashing into Snufkin standing behind him. If it weren't for the voices of dozens of confused children on the other side of the door, Snufkin probably could have heard his father's heart shatter.

"...she hates me. She hardly let me say a word." Joxter said, almost in a dazed voice. "I knew this was a bad idea, Snufkin. I-I just knew it." He bit his lip, squeezing his eyes closed. He lowered his head, the brim of his hat fell like a curtain over his face.

"Papa—"

"Let's go, Snufkin. She doesn't want to see me. I think she made that pretty clear." Joxter retorted, his tail dragged the ground as he turned around, heading back towards the woods where they came. Snufkin frowned, following behind his dad in silence. But then he halted. He looked back at the house, then his dad, then back at the house. Joxter didn't seem to take notice that Snufkin had stopped; perhaps he had been too lost in his thoughts.

Snufkin turned back around, trekking back to Mymble's front door.
He knocked.

"Mymblemama, it's just me. Joxter left."

...
She opened the door slowly.
"...why in the world did you think to bring that rat of a man here?"

"A-aren't you glad to see him alive...?"

"I'd much prefer to see him in the grave." She spat. "He got himself into trouble like he always does after agreeing to help raise you, and then up and disappeared! He had me worried for so long, fearing that he was dead, so now seeing him alive leaves me with nothing but spite!"

"...I'm angry too, I-I really am, mama. But...he's trying. He's really trying. Could you at least let him explain himself...? It's only fair, y'know?"

Mymble fell silent.
"...why should I? He left me to raise you all by myself! Yes, you were a good child but you're half mumrik! I didn't know how to care for a mumrik child!"

"...will you do it for me?" Snufkin asked. He absolutely hated this whole situation. Things played out a little bit better in his head. His mother from what he remembered never really got this heated...ever. But he would do whatever it takes to just get his parents on some sort of neutral level.

"Does it matter to you this much?"

"Yes. It matters more than the world to me, Mymblemama."

"...fine. Go get that son of a bitch, I'll certainly have a little talk with him, if that's what you really want."