Bonding

"That outta do it." Snufkin placed down the wooden mallet onto the grass. He just finished pitching his tent. "You sure you don't want to sleep in the tent? It looks like it's going to storm"

Joxter laughed. "I'm positive, my boy. I've been in the wilderness for decades, I can sense the changes in the weather." Snufkin rolled his eyes with a half-amused smirk and gazed up into the sky through the trees. Normally the sunset would be visible, but the sky was overcast.

"Whatever you say." Snufkin mumbled. "Well, I didn't get to buy any food at the market because of...unforeseen circumstances, so I'll have to do some fishing. Would you like to come with me?"

Joxter yawned, curling up against a tree. "No thanks...I'm going to take a nap before dinner." He pulled his hat down over his face.

"...alright then, I guess you won't be eating then." Snufkin shrugged, grabbing his fishing pole. Joxter sat up real quick, eyes wide.

"Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa pal, what are you talking about?" Joxter placed his hat back on his head and caught up to his son. "I know you're still probably upset with me, but you're okay with letting  me, your poor old pops starve?!" Snufkin stifled a laugh.

     "The fish don't like it when it's going to storm, they can tell one is coming when the wind picks up. If I catch any at all, it wouldn't be enough for both of us. But if you came with me, we could probably catch enough for both of us to eat."

     "...fair enough. I'm telling you though, it's not going to storm!" Joxter snarled in a playful manner. "Do you happen to have some extra line and a hook? I don't have my rod on me, so I'll just make one with a stick."

"Yeah, I got some."

————————————

Snufkin and Joxter sat on a boulder next to the pond, casting their lines into the rippling water. They had already been fishing for about half an hour, and they didn't have a single bite yet. Joxter huffed, holding his chin in his paw.

"I think I'm going to die of starvation before a fish even shows up." Joxter growled. "Are there even any fish in this pond?"

"I saw some earlier. I know there's plenty in here" Snufkin pulled in his line. He checked to make sure the bait was still on, before recasting it further into the water. "I agree though, this is getting a little bit aggravating."

It was silent again. Snufkin's eyes were focused on the ripples in the water. His eyes were searching for any sign of a fish swimming about. His concentration was lost when he heard snickering. He turned to look at his father. He was laughing. "...what?" Snufkin asked.

     "You were so little that you probably don't remember...but this is reminding me of the first time I took you fishing." Joxter was right, Snufkin didn't really remember...but he had very very fuzzy memories. "A fish bigger that you were at the time took your bait, and-" Joxter had to stop to catch his breath. "-and it pulled you right in!" He broke out into laughter. Snufkin snickered, using his free hand to cover his mouth.

     "I'm guessing the fish got away then?" Snufkin asked. Joxter, still laughing, shook his head.

     "Nope! I was able to grab you before it dragged you too far into the water. I helped you reel it in... the moment you saw just how big the fish you caught was, you had the biggest grin on your face that I had ever seen. You were so proud...you told just about every child in Mymble's house about that big ol' fish you caught. We let it go, of course, but we would see it every once in a while swimming in that lake. Every time you saw it, you'd jump up and down excitedly and yell 'Fishie! Fishie!' Now I'm not one to find many things cute, but...that was adorable. While I was...away, every time I went fishing I would think about that. That little Snufkin seeing that giant fish and being so excited that he once caught it... it makes me happy to think about."

     Snufkin wishes that he could remember. He never wanted to remember anything more than that moment of his childhood. Even though he was sorrowful that he couldn't recall it, he smiled. "I suppose that's why I really love fishing, huh?"

     "I suppose so." Joxter grinned, his tail swished on the ground.

It was silent for a few more minutes. Until Joxter suddenly stood up. Snufkin was confused.

     "Papa, what are you doing?" He asked, watching his father walk over to the bank beside the pond. He took off his coat, his boots, his hat, and his scarf. "Don't tell me you're getting in the water! You'll scare off the fish!"

     "That's where you're wrong, my boy. I'm going to get us some fish!" Joxter stepped into the water. Snufkin cringed at the thought of how cold that water must be.

     "Father, you'll get sick!" Snufkin tried to reason with his father, but his pleas fell on deaf ears. The water was already up to Joxter's knees. He stood still for a moment, and Snufkin considered the possibility that his father may have lost his mind. He jumped when he saw his father swoop his paw into the water with his claws out, and he had a fish in his grip when he pulled his arm back out. He turned to Snufkin with a smile and a large toothy grin, showing off his catch. Snufkin was struck with awe for moment before doubling over in laughter.

     "You look like a bear fishing like that!" Snufkin chortled, keeping his eyes on his father to watch his every move. Joxter shouted back at him.

     "You wanna see me fish like a bear, eh? Alrighty then, watch this!" Joxter threw his first catch onto the shore, then dove head first into the water. Snufkin couldn't believe this, his father really had lost his mind. He was under for a few seconds, but he submerged with a fish flopping helplessly between his teeth. Snufkin howled with laughter. Hearing his son laugh was enough to make Joxter laugh too. This continued on for a few more minutes, Snufkin watching his dad fish like an animal. By the time Joxter stepped out of the water, both of their sides were sore from laughing. And to top it off, Joxter managed to catch five fish, which would make a very filling dinner for the both of them.