Chapter 7 - The Camp Follower

Start from the beginning

Aerham wondered if they were haggling over the price of a prostitute. The man appeared to be a farmer and nothing more, holding his sword like a shovel. He could not imagine how rough the prostitutes would look that such a man could manage.

Gendis held out his open hand, palm up. The yellow light made it difficult to be sure, but Aerham thought the coins were silver. The farmer accepted them with a frown, disappearing into his house, leaving Gendis at the open door.

"He went straight to the coin this time," Gerran whispered in amazement.

"Yes, I thought he was going to use the 'lure the father away' trick again. All of that extra coin is making them lazy," explained Werdas. "And no fun."

"I wish they'd throw some my way." Gerran laughed, and Werdas quickly joined in.

Aerham knew they weren't here for a camp follower, or some regular from the local brothel. His hand closed tightly over the hilt of his sword. He didn't know what he would do, if his fears were proven true. What could he do? They had said something about luring a father away. That meant there was a child.

A woman's voice protested within the cottage, followed by a man's stern voice. Then silence.

Gendis turned and nodded to the men on horseback. He faced the open doorway again and took a knee, beckoning to something or someone.

Gerran and Werdas dismounted and turned to face Aerham. Gerran placed his hands on his hips and Werdas crossed his arms.

Aerham took a deep breath, moving the hand from his hilt to the pommel of his saddle. With his heart racing, he sat still in the darkness. The two bannermen were clearly waiting for him to act and were prepared to pounce on him. He hated Uth Garenthil for putting him in this situation. He likely couldn't physically overcome the three young men without using his sword; and that would raise the stakes dramatically. He was certain in a contest of swords, he could best all three of these louts at once. Although, they likely had a chance at winning if it were three versus one.

The farmer appeared in the doorway; a skinny, young girl held before him. She couldn't be older than fourteen, and was likely younger. When her sleepy eyes realized he was pushing her to Gendis, she began to wail and tried to run, but the Initiate grabbed her, pulling her through the doorway by the arm.

Gendis struggled to hold her. She screamed and kicked. The farmer had to spin in the doorway to restrain his wife. She was a stout woman and likely more than Gendis could handle.

Gerran and Werdas tensed, still facing Aerham, no doubt ready for him to act.

This was all wrong. This was not the Light of the Blessed Lady. This was not an act of servants of Ravyneira. This was a crime. Even if the father was accepting payment and apparently consented for whatever reason, it was wrong. Yes, Aerham knew lords took their pleasures on a whim, doing what they chose, but such things weren't the actions of a Brother of the Sun. This just couldn't be happening.

"Don't do anything foolish," Gerran said calmly, though his voice hinged on fear. "It's the right of the nobility. Her father was paid good coin, besides."

"We could have just taken her for free," Werdas pointed out and tapped his sword hilt.

Aerham forced a soft laugh. His mouth was dry and he gripped the pommel of his saddle with both hands to hide the shaking. It almost seemed he had heard someone else laugh, as if he were witnessing the scene through the eyes and ears of someone else. If this was a nightmare, he wished he would wake up soon.

"Why didn't you just tell me what we were doing? My father and I used to do this all of the time," Aerham said, watching the tension drain from the two bannermen. He dismounted, and while approaching the two men, added, "I wouldn't have given them a single copper coin, though. Well, if the girl was good, I might give something."