[3] Charlie Brown

MICHAEL

Once, when I was much younger, my parents decided to take me on a walk through the woods. I remember how wonderful that day was-- the leaves were just beginning their gorgeous transition to red and yellow, renovating my small world into vibrant colors. My parents were so happy, holding hands and brushing noses as they swept between the towering trees. I was captivated by all the different colors my grey eyes had yet to see, mesmerized by it all. I spotted a gold leaf sitting atop a smooth rock, sparkling in the sun like glitter. I was enthralled as I stared at it, and crept forward to touch it. I cradled the fragile piece of nature in my hands, and only when a breeze lifted it away from my grasp did I realize my parents had vanished from my sight, disappearing among the unfamiliar woods I hadn't yet grown accustomed to. I slowly turned around, straining my ears to listen for my mother's lovely voice and my father's deep timbre. Panic settled in my stomach, fire burning my lungs as I screamed out for my parents, terror sweltering in my mind.

A feeling identical to this is how I feel when I wake up later tonight, pressed against a tall blonde figure that, at the moment, I have no memory of. I kick off the blanket covering me and dart away from the boy, huddling beside a nearby tree before I remember who the boy wis. Luke, was his name?

Luke seems to be waking up as well, his mouth opening wide in a loud yawn as he stretches his arms over his head. His blue eyes flutter open and I see them look around his surroundings before focusing on me. His lips curl up into a smile.

"Hey, Michael," his voice is rough from sleep. I tilt my head, my hair flopping over my eyes as I listen to his voice. "Man, I didn't know how nice naps are in the woods. I could sleep for ages here." He pushes himself up to his feet and runs a hand through his hair before grabbing his backpack and walking over to me.

"You want to come to my house to sleep?" Luke offers. Then he laughs, quietly, to himself. "Actually, that's not a question. As nice as naps are in the woods, I think my bed is a lot more comfortable. So, come on." Luke turns around, the muscles in his back flexing under his thin, white t-shirt as he carries the heavy backpack. I watch him as he begins walking away, clearly expecting me to follow him. My instincts cause me to cower against the tree, my bones locked in place. I yearn to follow him, but how can I? I can't just walk out into the city with my ears and tail, let alone go into a home that may or may not be comfortable having a half-cat boy inside it.

I'm all too aware of this unaccepting city, and I'm not eager to enter it. I'm old enough to know that there is a reason I've lived in the woods all my life.

Luke turns around once again, looking a bit amused at my crumpled form, still motionless. He sighs and strolls back towards me.

"Will I have to carry you?" Luke teases. His joking manner falters for a second as another thought crosses his mind. "Or-- do you not trust me?"

I hurriedly shake my head and choke out, "No! No, I do."

Luke breathes out in relief and settles down in a sitting position beside me. "So, what's the matter?" Instead of answering, I stroke my tail with my left hand and touch my ears with my right. Luke looks at them and his lips form an "o".

"Hm. You're right. That could cause a few stares." Luke murmurs with a smile, and then spots my blue blanket carelessly tossed to the side from where I kicked it off a bit ago. Luke snatches it up and motions for me to stand. I obey, standing and staring at Luke with wide eyes.

Luke grins, wrapping the blue blanket around me, covering the top of my head and draping it down my back to cover my long, fluffy tail. Luke stands back and lets out a laugh.

"You look adorable." He pinches my cheeks and I grimace, smacking his hand away.

I hold the blanket tight with my hands and make my way through the woods next to Luke, who hums cheerfully under his breath, catching glances at me every once and a while.