The Price of Gold

Start from the beginning

"Ms Blanchard. How long is your lease?" Regina asked Emma sarcastically. "Oh wait, you don't have one. You see my point? In order for something to grow, Ms Swan, it needs roots, and you don't have any." Ouch. "People don't change. They only fool themselves into believing they can."

"You don't know me," Emma defended.

"No, I think I do. All I ask is, is as you carry on your transient life, you think of Henry and what's best for him, perhaps consider a clean break. It's gonna happen anyway."

Emma sat there speechless and I just sat there playing with my thumbs.

"Enjoy your cocoa," Regina said.

"It's hot chocolate," I muttered.

Regina then got up and left.

We just sat there for a few seconds before Emma got up, knocking her drink over herself in the process.

"Ohh, really?"

"Ruby!" I yelled behind the counter. As she emerged from the kitchen I asked for a towel.

"Here."

"Thanking you," I said, heading back over to Emma. "There you go," I said, as I gave Emma the towel.

"Thanks. Can I borrow your laundry room?" She asked.

"Of course. I live just down the road."

We walked quickly back to my house and I showed Emma my laundry room.

"I can get you some new clothes if you want," I offered.

"Just a top would be amazing thank you."

"Anytime."

As I walked through my shop trying to find a top for Emma I remembered that I hadn't told Emma about the other girl using my laundry room. Oh well, they'll be fine. Maybe Emma will have some advice for her seeing as she had Henry when she was young.

This girl Ashley is 19 and ready to give birth anytime soon. She has no one else to help her apart from me. I took pity on the girl and have helped her as much as I can.

I picked up Emma a top and headed back to my house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This morning I'd come over to see Mary Margaret and Emma.

"Nice outfit," Mary Margaret said, as I walked in.

"Why thank you," I smiled, as I sat on Mary Margaret's table.

"Want any food?" Mary Margaret asked.

"Nah, I'm good thanks. I've just eaten," I said gratefully.

We sat there talking for a bit while Emma sorted through her boxes and Mary Margaret cooked them breakfast.

"I'm so glad my stuff is here," Emma said while going through the boxes. "Oh, thanks." Mary Margaret handed over her breakfast.

"So that's all your stuff?"

"What do you mean?"

"Is the rest in storage?"

"No, this is all of it."

Mary Margaret and I shared a glance at Emma's three boxes.

"I'm not very sentimental," she told us.

"Well, it must make it easier for when you have to move," Mary Margaret said.

Emma's eyes widened.

"She doesn't mean it like that," I told Emma.

"What?" Mary Margaret asked.

"You made it sound like you were kicking her out," I told her.