Only the Young

Prologue:

Sirens were blaring as they got closer and closer. I looked down on my hands that were smeared with blood, hot tears trailed down my face. I stared at his body in disbelief, anger and regret. Was he dead? I moved closer to him but stopped short. He looked sordid; there was blood all over his body. His hair was caked with drying blood and his eyes looked lifeless though I could see his fingers were twitching. The blood was still flowing from his head, I looked down and saw the wooden cricket bat splintered and concealed with blood. I edged closer, my heartbeat going a mile a minute. I hadn’t meant to do it. Really I didn’t. It was as if something had taken over me and I went berserk. I only managed to hover over him for five minutes before someone kicked the door in. I turned my head as the paramedic and police officers squeezed through the door, they must have been knocking and shouting and I was oblivious. I was dressed in a pink lace underwear set and… Eric, well he had his boxers idly hanging from one foot. My hands were covered with his blood, along with my phone which I had used to call them. See, I really didn’t mean it. I had even called an ambulance for him. The police looked from me to him surely seeing completely different expressions; mine sullen and full of resentment whilst his was contorted in pain. They weren’t sure what had gone on and stood back whilst the paramedics did their job.

A female paramedic with striking red hair, and the prettiest of green eyes ushered me over into a corner and wrapped me in a foil blanket. If she knew what I had done she wouldn’t have been so kind. I watched in a daze as the paramedics did their best with Eric. My view was obstructed but I soon blocked out everything around me. I could only see white. I heard nothing though I knew there were a lot of things going on around me. I saw nothing though there was plenty to see. My senses had shut down, I was there in body but my soul was less than intact. I began to shake violently, I had lost control. I was quivering for a while before I collapsed and all went black instead of white.

I awoke in a sterile hospital. I was seeing white again. The room was painted an off white and everything else followed suit aside from the brightly coloured staff. I looked down at myself. I was wearing a white hospital gown with blue speckles. My peroxide blonde hair was damp with seat and my skin was visibly paler. I sat up, with some discomfort. I could see a police officer rising with me. It wasn’t until then that I noticed that my right hand was handcuffed to the bed. The officer noticed me staring

“Regulation” It was rehearsed, he didn’t look like he wanted to be here. I didn’t blame him. I didn’t want to be here either. I wanted to curl up and let the world forget me. Become a part of the scenery, a part that was never realised or praised. I wanted things to back to how it was before the previous night. At least I thought it was the previous night, I looked out of the window. It was dark and the moon was visible. I blinked involuntarily; I didn’t want to be awake now.

“Miss Costa. My name is Officer Townsend. I’m going to ask you some questions about what happened two days ago.”

“Is he okay?” My voice broke half way through the strained sentence.

“Eric had experienced a severe concussion. When the paramedics arrived he was barely alive. They did their best and he is recuperating in intensive. Hey may survive this though they say that he might not come out completely unscathed. He might be mentally handicap” I felt those hot tears trail down my face once again. I did that. I was responsible. I hated myself for that. I wanted to die just then. How could I do that? My life wasn’t exactly picture perfect but I would never set out to kill someone. Would I? I dabbled in drugs, alcohol and did unmentionable things my parents would be ashamed to have known about. It wasn’t their fault I had turned out so rotten out of the rest of their two golden apples. I was just different and I made a point to make that point clear after dying my hair blonde whilst my family remained chestnut brown. My mind wondered aimlessly, going over the past events that had led to this. Completely ignoring what the Officer was saying until he cleared his throat to grasp my attention.