Chapter 6 - We're Soulmates!

After this chapter, hopefully everything will be back to normal. Sorry it took so long to get it out😬. Happy reading! MUAH!!

Keefe:

"You're gonna have to talk to her," Dex says lowly. Sophie keeps glancing over at me; at first it was with looks filled with hate, which I understand, but it's turned into looks of... fear?

"She looks like she's scared of me," I respond.

"I would be too. The last time you guys talked, you crushed her spirit. I don't think she's gonna be happy to see you."

"Why does she look scared though?" I ask as she looks over at me again with fearful eyes. I start to form a smile, maybe say something, but her head quickly whips around.

"I'm not sure. Why don't you go talk to her?"

"Are you crazy?"

"I'll do it for you." Dex starts to walk over to where the girls are sitting. I grit my teeth, and grab him by the arm.

"Don't even think about it," I hiss, dragging him back over.

"Fineeeee. I'm gonna change the topic now - where's Fitz?" I shrug, and then as if he was waiting for that question, Fitz walks down the stairs. Sophie perks up instantly, and she throws him her brightest smile.

"Hi, Fitz." She waves shyly, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"Hey, Sophia - erm, Sophie. Sorry." Fitz looks awkward as Sophie's face falls, and he walks over to Dex and I's corner.

"Sophia?" Dex raises his eyebrows at Fitz.

"I never talk to her, how am I supposed to know her name? Besides it's obvious that she has the hugest crush on me, and it's weird. She's my little sister's friend. I'm not into that. And even if she were my age, she is so not my type."

"You're supposed to know someone's name if they come to your house all the time," I roll my eyes at Fitz, "And what even is your type? I've been your best friend since when I skipped sixth grade and moved straight to seventh and we've barely talked about girls."

"Um, I don't really have a type. It kinda changes. Right now, it's girls with black hair, blue eyes, and really sweet, sensitive smiles," Fitz's eyes turn dreamy as he turns his eyes to where the girls are.

"Oh. My. Gosh. You like Linh!" Dex says excitedly, following Fitz's gaze.

"No way," I say, punching him in the chest.

"You're absolutely right. No way. You should just go for it!" Dex cheers, and grabs his hand to drag him over.

"Nuh uh. No way. Not. Happening."

"What if Keefe talks to Sophie? Will you talk to Linh?"

"Don't drag me into this!" I whine, slumping my shoulders.

"No maybe we should. Come on, it won't be that bad," Fitz says.

Dex smiles at me, and before I know it, he's walking over to Sophie. I bite my lip hard as he whispers in her ear. She looks at him weird, and then glances at me. I wave my hand in a shy smile, and she rolls her eyes, but there is a little reservation in them.

Dex winks at me, and walks back over.

"What did you do, Dizznee." I grab him by his shirt, and he holds his hands up in surrender.

"Relax. I told her you wanted to talk to her, and to follow you when you left. Which you should probably do because she's gonna think I'm full of crap if you don't."

"You owe me big time."

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Now go out of this room and settle this awkward tension." Dex slaps me on the shoulder, and I slowly step out of the room.

I sink onto the first steps of the staircase, half expecting Sophie not to show up, but then there she is.

She steps up from the basement looking nervous and scared, and it reminds me of her face when I told her we should stop being friends. We sit in uncomfortable silence for a moment before I stand up and words take over my mouth before I can stop them.

"You're scared of me." It comes out as a statement, not a question, and I see her eyes widen.

"I-I-I, Y-Yes. Wait, N-W-No. I don't know." She throws her hands up in exasperation, before turning her back to me. While she examines something, my gaze draws down to my right arm.

The words that used to be written barely a shade darker than my skin now stand out, written in a bold black. And those words match the ones that just came out of Sophie's mouth.

"Foster."

"Don't call me that." Sophie whips back around to face me. I glance down at her left arm, and find the words that left my mouth a few seconds ago written in a cold black.

"Fine. Sophie. Do you know what this means?"

"I'm not stupid." She folds her arms, covering her mark.

"No. It goes deeper then that," I look at her expectantly but she just glares back, "It means I was wrong all those years ago."

"What do you—ohhh." Her arms drop as she sinks onto the floor. I sit down in front of her.

"Exactly, Foster! I was wrong! I. Was. Wrong. And I'm so sorry for it. We should've stayed friends. We're soulmates!" I grab her arm excitedly, but she jerks out of my grip.

"Stop calling me that. And Keefe, just because your words are written on my arm doesn't mean we're soulmates."

"That's the whole point, though?"

"Soulmates can change." She scoots away from me.

"Only if someone dies." I reach for her hand, but she pulls it away.

"Soulmates have changed before. Some people don't ever meet their soulmates! Some meet their soulmate and choose to marry someone else! Just because your words are on my arm doesn't mean I'm... tied to you!" She almost sounds hysterical as she rises from the floor. I follow suit, and hold my hands out gently.

"Fos-er, Sophie. Soulmates change when people die. And yes, people never meet their soulmates, but that's not the case for us. We used to be such good friends. And I'm sorry for messing that up. Can we try again?" She's not listening to a word I'm saying. Her head is shaking back and forth, her lips mouthing words.

"Soulmates can change," she repeats, looking at me with fear in her eyes. Her gorgeous hazel eyes.

"Only if someone dies, Soph," I say gently.

"Don't pretend to be nice to me! You broke my heart that day, you know? So we're not soulmates. Okay? And we never will be. It'll change, just you watch."

"Soulmates only change when people die!" I practically yell at her. I just want her to see clearly, hear my apology, but she won't see past the "soulmates can change" thing. Her eyes harden, and she says something I never thought I'd hear her say, much less to me.

"Then maybe you should do that."