Part Two

Edward

There's dog hairs all over my wool suit jacket as I'm forced to wait for the vet, who's currently explaining medications to the woman over at the reception desk. They're running behind by fifty-five minutes, and if it weren't so important that she have her injections today, then I'd have left several minutes ago and charged them for my time.

I check my watch. "This is a joke."

Groot lifts her eyes to stare at mine. Quit your complaining.

I let out a loud sigh which causes her to fidget in my lap as punishment.

This is Delilah's job. You won't know she's here. Look how happy she makes the kids. Give it a few days, and you'll be wondering how you could live without her.

I'm not buying it. 

I'm a busy man, so family time is precious to me. When I get home I want to spend my time with them, but now it's constant stress. Groot needs the toilet. Groot needs feeding. Groot needs playing with. Groot chewed up my shoes that were in the cupboard a-fucking-gain.

It's driving me crazy.

I'd say owning a puppy is more tiring than a new born baby.

"Mr Larsson," a soft female voice steals me from my thoughts. "Would you like to bring Groot through to my room?"

"Yes," I bark, standing to my feet in one fluid motion.

The vet is dressed in blue scrubs with her short hair styled back off her face. I regret my tone when she winces at me. "I'm sorry for your wait. We had two emergencies in this afternoon. I haven't been home in over forty hours."

Yeah, I'm a selfish dick sometimes.

Guilt eats at me. "You must be exhausted."

"Yeah, that's one word for it. Now, let's take a look at this little beauty. Hello, Groot, do you remember me from last time?" she says, helping me steady the dog when I place her onto the examination table.

I try to keep her from wriggling.

The vet lets the dog lick her nose. I try not to show my disgust. If only she knew where that tongue had been three hours ago. Do all dogs eat their own poo? "Oh, Collies are my weakness."

Groot enjoys the attention.

"Do you want her?" Comes out of my mouth before I can stop it.

She laughs like I'm not being serious. I am. "I'd snap her up like that, but my husband would kill me if I brought home another pet from here."

"Shame," I reply, struggling to keep Groot from the edge of the table.

The vet picks up the stethoscope from around her neck to take a listen at the dogs heartbeat. We wait a while. "Hmm."

I frown. "What does that mean?"

She ignores me.

My fingers go straight to Groot's ears where I take the baby soft fur between my fingers. "I don't like the sound of hmm."

The vet steps back to unplug her ears. "I can hear a heart murmur. It's small, which isn't too worrying, but it's suddenly appeared since her last visit. How's she been behaving?"

I swallow. "Well, if I'm being honest, she's a total nutcase."

She laughs. "All good signs. I'm going to keep an eye on it. I've known plenty of dogs to outgrow a murmur, but they can also be a symptom to an underlying problem. I trust that you have her breeder information?"