𝐢𝐢. the scout regiment

Start from the beginning

"Well, well feeling high and mighty Yamato. Said you were gonna join the MPs with your high score what happened realized you weren't good enough," sneered Walter after Akira sat down between Eleanor and Micheal Bourassa. As though Akira was expecting anything different as her friends Jami and Pino made good fun of mocking the pro Scout cadets.

"Shut up Walter, says you we all know you would be at the MPs if you didn't fail miserably," snapped Eleanor as she and Walter began a spitting match over who was the more advisable soldier. 

"Says you, Ellie, what rank did you place? Hm...that's right what was it thirty-forth?" mocked Walter his face forming a crude smile, Eleanor's eyes glowed with animosity.

Akira's eyes flitted back and forth between the pair, Eleanor was a young girl from Southern Wall Rose she wasn't someone Akira'd expect to join the Scouts as she had such a bubbly personality, but her fiery temper was something she didn't want to be on the receiving end of.

From what she had heard Walter was from the innermost wall, Wall Sina, his father worked closely with Rod Riess and other noblemen, he sought after the MPs to make his family proud but his pompous attitude stopped him from pulling his best at the final ranking exam making him fall into eleventh place.

"Does this happen often?" questioned Akira signalling at Eleanor and Walter.

"Eh...ignore them it's like getting involved in an argument between dumb and dumber," said Franklin Hinata his floppy flaxen coloured hair blocking the view of part of his left eye, from Akira's perspective she hadn't heard much about the Hinata boy other than his surprising intellect and his originating from Wall Maria alike to her, she wasn't sure what district. "Walter's right though. Why did you join the Scouts Yamato if you don't mind me asking."

"Well..."

"Clearly it was a spur of the moment decision since Asgari was all over weeping like a baby," added in Ralph Iseri sipping what Akira assumed was booze of sorts. "What made you switch, MPs would have been the best route with the second rank."

"Could ask you the same thing Iseri, you were fourth right. Why the Scouts?" shot back Akira as she attempted to evade the question, not because it was a touching matter but simply due to the fact she had no idea why her body impulsively decided not to move.

Ralph rolled his eyes before sipping some more whiskey. "Family tradition, my dads a retired Section Commander and my brother is currently a Squad Leader."

"Yeah, so Ralph is basically Scout royalty here," said Franklin stepping back from breaking up the tirade between Eleanor and Walter.

"The real question is why are trying to avoid Walter's question?"

"It's obvious, isn't it. Yamato's realized that if she's one of the best then she'd join the Regiment able to show off her skills," drawled Walter as he picked at his mashed potatoes carelessly placed across his plate.

"Well, I joined because—" began Eleanor in the silence.

"—nobody cares why you joined."

"Shut up Walls! Okay, so I've always wanted to see what was beyond the walls like the curiosity ate me up as a kid, and―"

"Oh please no, we don't anymore Levi obsessed fans," exclaimed Walter. "If we're going on about Captain Levi again I'm out, I need some more whiskey if I'll be talking to Ellie."

"Captain Levi?"

"He's only the greatest soldier the Scout Regiment has ever seen, I mean besides Erwin Smith but he's old now, plus he's really attractive," smiled Eleanor, as she went on about Captain Levi. Akira couldn't believe this group once intimidated her they a seemed like a dysfunctional family.

"Oh and I bet he's got rock hard—"

"—Dinner times up of to bed cadets you'll need your rest, bunkers have been assigned per your Regiment," announced Commander Aida as he surveyed the dining hall cutting of whatever Eleanor was about to say. Akira walked silently among the rest of Scouts to there bunkers, her and Eleanor were paired together and sent off while the boys were left to skirmish themselves among the other two bunkers.

"...I also hear that apparently he never had any Military Training," chirped Eleanor as the two girls lay in bunk beds, Akira rolled her eyes and slammed her head into the plush white pillows. "Oh yeah, why did you join Recon Corps? I just remembered that Walls asked and you never answered."

"Now says the girl who joined the Scouts just to fantasise about a Captain, I don't owe you an answer."

Pouting Eleanor huffed closing her eyes and deciding that perhaps Akira wasn't ready for new friends. "Whatever, good night I guess."

She didn't get a reply.

As the sun rose to light the area in which the cadets were walking upon, Akira felt her arms slag and the constant drag and effort she had to make to move her feet, as Commander Shadis stood tall before them, she glanced around to see it wasn't her alone but Eleanor's usually an elegantly twisted knot of golden hair fell sloppily in a messy pony-tail alike to her copper coloured hair. Walter looked deranged his usually smug smile gone and eyes bloodshot from lack of sleep, Franklin was the only one among the seven who looked moderately presentable with a serene smile on his face, nut-brown hair brushed silkily down. Beside Commander, Shadis was a young man with icy blue eyes and blond hair meticulously placed.

"Eyes wide, soldiers! The Survey Corps HQ is located in the furthermost area of Wall Maria so it's will be quite the journey," said Commander Shadis, as he swiftly turned around making his way for the stables. "Choose a sturdy steed, this journey will most likely make up our whole day. "

"Oh, yay," said Walter his face was the epitome of annoyance, one look from Commander Shadis was enough to cause Walter to straighten and drop the sarcasm.

Eleanor looked heavily dishevelled, but her wide smile was enough to make up for everyone's lack of enthusiasm. "Come on guys, this is gonna be fun."

"You say that now Grace, but when you're chaffing down there after hours on horseback you won't be so smiley."

Akira rubbed her eyes, uncomprehending of her surroundings she sighed before flowing the others.

"Wotcher Yamato, don't need our best cadet falling off her horse," Akira jumped slightly as she looked sideways to spot Franklin grinning at her, she couldn't remember what number he placed but on the training Titans, he seemed well adhered.

"Don't sneak up on people like that."

Franklin smiled lightly. "Don't worry people tend to be struck by my beauty."

"More like your lack thereof," Akira scoffed as she squinted at the sun, the group were each handed a horse as they prepared to ride off. 

Despite rising early the group didn't depart till noon the sun bearing down upon each of them no one dared to complain about the long journey they still had ahead of them. Eleanor giggled as they rode through the clear land the large trees swaying wind rushing through her golden hair, Akira smiled lightly enabling her somewhat friends happy attitude rub of on her. The breeze lightened Akira's posture letting a lax smile lace her facial feautres, her nut-brown hair blew in the wind as her horse galloped onward.