Chapter 17

The next few weeks were painfully long

The next few weeks were painfully long. The four had been forced to go on foot. They didn't talk much, all of them seemed too lost in thoughts.

As they set up their tent near a lake, Liz couldn't stop thinking about her parents. She had thought about them a lot. Before she left Hogwarts she had made sure to sent them a letter, explaining how she needed some time away from her family. She obviously couldn't tell them the entire truth but that was ok for now. Not that it mattered because she questioned if they'd even read the letter at all.

"Why don't you make yourself useful for once?" Ron snapped at the short brunette. She looked up into his dark eyes, evidential big bags under his eyes. Ron was looking as bad as he felt. Liz narrowed her eyes trying to ignore the comment and went on with her doings. Hermione had gotten somewhat ok with Liz being there but Ron still wasn't the biggest fan of the Diggory girl.

When the tent was all set up Liz went inside and sat down at the dinner table, trying to put the pieces together on how to destroy the damn horcrux.

Ron laid on the bed; his usual spot whilst Hermione gave Harry a haircut which he desperately needed.

"What if a horcrux can't be destroyed by a wand?" Liz asked as she flipped through one of her books.

"No kidding, we figured that out about a month ago smartass." Ron muttered.

"No," Liz looked up meeting Hermione's and Harry's eyes "what if it needs to be destroyed by an object stronger than the horcrux? Horcruxes are dark magic, maybe simple spells aren't strong enough."

Hermione's eyes widened as she laid the scissors down "Oh my god—"

"What?" Harry and Liz asked in unison.

"I'll tell you in a minute."

"Maybe you could tell us now." Harry jumped from his seat and followed Hermione to the dinner table where Liz was seated. Liz furrowed her eyebrows confused to what Hermione was doing.

"The sword of Gryffindor, it's goblin made."

"Brilliant." Harry added sarcastically.

"No, you don't understand. Dirt and rust have no effect on the blade. It only takes in that what makes it stronger."

"Ok.."

"Harry, you already destroyed one horcrux right, Tom Riddle's diary in the chamber of Secrets."

"With a basilisk's fang, if you tell me you've got one of those then that would be great."

"Don't you see? In the chamber of Secrets you stabbed the basilisk with the sword of Gryffindor."

"It only takes in that what makes it stronger." Liz repeated, her eyes widening in realization just like Harry's. They sat down at the table with Liz.

"Exactly which is why—"

Harry cut Hermione off saying "It could destroy horcruxes."

"It's why Dumbledore left it to you in his will."

"You are brilliant, Hermione, truly."

"Actually, I'm highly logical which makes me look past details. And makes me see clearly that what others overlook. Besides, I wouldn't have come to it without Liz."

Liz gave Hermione a sly smile as a thank you. Harry opened his mouth to speak when suddenly all the lights turned off. Ron walked up to them with the illuminator in his hand. "The sword is stolen." He spoke before turning the lights back on. "Yeah, I'm still here. But you three carry on, don't let me spoil the fun."

"What's wrong?"

"Wrong? Nothin's wrong. Not according to you anyways."

"Look, if you've got something to say, don't be shy. Spit it out."

"Alright, I'll spit it out. But don't expect me to be grateful, just because now there's another damn thing we've got to find."

"I thought you knew what you signed up for."

"Yeah, I thought I did too."

"Well, then I'm sorry but I don't quite understand." Harry raised angrily from his seat. "What part of this isn't living up to your expectations? Did you think we were gonna be staying at a five star hotel? Find a horcrux every other day? You thought you'd be around with your mom by Christmas?"

"I just thought after all this time we would've actually achieved something. I thought you knew what you were doing. I thought Dumbledore would've told you something worthwhile. I thought you had a plan."

"I told you everything Dumbledore told me. And in case you haven't noticed we have found a horcrux already."

"Yeah, and we're as close to getting rid of them as we are to finding the other ones, aren't we?"

"Ron, please—" Hermione pleaded, pulling onto the necklace around his neck "take it off, you wouldn't be saying any of those things if you hadn't been wearing them all day." Nonetheless Ron pushed the girl away as he daggers eyes at Harry.

"I've been listening to the radio for a while, to make sure I don't hear Ginny's name or Fred, or George, or mum."

"You don't think I don't hear those things too? You think I don't know how this feels?"

"No, you don't know how it feels! Your parents are dead! You have no family!"

Liz jumped up when Harry lunched forwards, grabbing ahold of Ron.

"Stop!"

"Alright, go then, leave." Harry hissed.

Ron groaned and threw the necklace onto the ground. He grabbed his bag from the floor and stumped towards the exit of the tent before turning around to face Hermione.

"And you? Are you coming or are you staying?!" Ron moved his eyes between Harry and Hermione "Fine, I get it. I've been replaced with that," Ron scowled pointing at Liz whom raised her hands in surrender "and I saw you two the other night." He pointed at Hermione and Harry.

"What? Ron, that's nothing. Ron—" Hermione watery eyes pleaded for Ron to stay but he left the tent before she could say more. Hermione ran after the redhead while Liz and Harry stood behind.