Chapter 4

Halloween finally came around and traditional shut in was happening at Ruby's, like usual, and the crew was there, sans Cesar. Monse, Jamal, and Elizabeth were in costume while Olivia was getting into hers inside her room. Monse was a lifeguard, Jamal was a hospital patient, Elizabeth was Harley Quinn from the Suicide Squad, and Ruby was a vampire.

"Eighty-six the chat and focus," Ruby interrupted the talking, "this is gonna be our best shut in ever. But we have to follow protocol,"

"Dude, we know the drill," Elizabeth rolled her eyes.

"This year's gonna be different. It's not about our survival. It's about Olivia. There was magic in our first dance," Ruby sighed.

"Have you guys been to Brentwood?" Jamal asked from the dining table.

"I haven't, J," Elizabeth turned to face him.

"My parents are out so I set up touch control LED lighting," Ruby turned the lights on, "Bordello Red. Nightmare on Elm Street us gonna get Olivia scared..." Ruby sat on the couch, "a little lappy,"

"You know that's creepy, right?" Monse asked.

"One step ahead of you," Ruby grabbed the blanket over the couch, "little cover in case of wood,"

"Speaking of wood, Brentwood sounds kind of fun," Jamal tried to get his ideas on the table.

Elizabeth looked around at the couches, "where is Cesar sitting?"

"In Oscar's Impala," Ruby replied.

"He's not coming? Why? It's tradition," Monse rushed out.

"Who cares?" Ruby shrugged.

The door busted open and Cesar walked into the house, "shut in!"

"B-but I thought you were with Oscar?" Ruby stuttered, looking horrified at the sight of his best friend in the house.

"Good to see you too," Cesar smiled sarcastically.

"Nice costume, Julius," Elizabeth chuckled as the two did their own handshake.

"No, it's fine. It's just..."Ruby sighed, "take a seat, any seat," Cesar moved to sit on the loveseat, but Ruby quickly shoved him away, "not the loveseat and don't block my scented candle,"

Olivia walked out of her room with her costume on, "What do you think?"

Ruby looked stunned and grabbed the blanket, "that looks nice,"

"When are we going out?" the new girl asked the group.

"Never. Trick or treating in Freeridge is a no go," Ruby said.

"Why?"

"You might wanna sit down. I'll be brief," Ruby sat down on the loveseat with Olivia, "In 2012, Prohets rolled up on us. Glocks to our head and snatched our bags. 2013, we were kissing pavement all night. Caught in a drive-by. That night we lost our candy and perhaps out innocence,"

"Can we talk?" Monse asked Cesar.

"I'm good," Cesar responded.

Elizabeth grabbed both of their arms and pulled them to the hallway, "listen here, estupidos. Y'all are going to talk and chop it up. Bye, I need to piss,"