Highway

"Hey, hey... don't do that to your brother, Nadia." These kids are exhausting, I told myself. I had always been a happy mom and my kids are, and will always be, my biggest treasure. I have to accept though, that sometimes I don't know how to react when I feel I am becoming desperate about something they do. This was not one of those days, though. I was just taking little Owen to soccer practice, but Nadia, my 12-year-old, was being a bit harsh on her younger brother - it was not a big deal.

The radio playing on the car got interrupted. "Hey kids, your uncle Liam is calling me. Lower it down please, OK?" I said. "Yes, mom!" both of the kids replied in unison.

"Hey there! How's it going? It's been so long!" I said to my brother via the hands-free mode on my van. "Not too bad sis, how are the kids doing?" It sounded like he was outdoors somewhere. He was coming out of his guitar practice with his band, where he used to go every weekday in the afternoon. He was a real guitar fan and a music lover.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone with such a passion for something. He used to take lessons twice a week at home when we were growing up, then he studied music at Berklee, and he had since composed for and played with different guitar bands in Boston. It's too bad that he was a bit far from Seattle, I wish I could go to more of his gigs.

He was not too religious, though, which was a bit worrying to me. But I was giving him time to find God on his own when the right time came for him.

We grew up in a tight Jewish community in New York City, and although my parents were not the top-notch scorers in the Jewish leagues of devotees, I had become close to God once I moved out with my Husband to Washington State. I actually don't know whether I could ever live as I used to when we were growing up. I mean, my parents would sometimes even skip Shabbat. So, I am doing my best to raise my kids in the most pristine form of Judaism. We respect Shabbat every week and I have now started wearing more discrete colors and clothing - we, as women, should make sure we don't use our bodies to wake up any sort of impurity in a man's mind, you know. The Torah has become my best companion, and I feel secure and safe when I read it.

"Kids are doing great," I said. "We are now driving to Owen's soccer practice. Hey Owen, say hi to uncle Liam!"

"Hi uncle Liam." replied Owen with a monotonous voice.

"Hey, big champion! Ready for soccer? I'm sure you will rock it, big boy!"

"Thank you, uncle," replied Owen in a similar tone as before." Alright, I hope to see you soon!," said Liam.

"OK."

I took the phone and turned off the hands-free mode. "So, are we meeting for Yum Kippur?" Liam continued.

"Of course! We might celebrate here in Seattle this year with the rest of the fam visiting," I said. "You think you'll join us?"

"Yes, I think I can make it," he replied. "I have been worried about my finances though. As you know, the money I make every month with the band is pretty damn little. I have been losing some sleep over it, actually." His tone showed his worry.

"You have to keep trying though," I said. "You've fought so hard for this. Everything will fall into place very soon, you shall see."

I always tried to encourage my brother to follow his passion. Yet, we had our face-offs once in a while. Something in his tone made me think this could be one of those days.

"Hey, remember how the other day you mentioned we should use the bulk of our parents' fund to transfer them to a residence for the elderly?" asked Liam.

I felt the skin hair in my arms and chest moving slightly, and my body warming up. "Yes, I remember that, Liam. What is the issue?" I said.

"The issue is that I have thought about this and I don't think it makes any sense to do it. I actually think it would be a waste of money and time to do so. I'm sorry, Matilda, but I think I am a bit more qualified than you to make this decision."