The lizard Pokémon didn't like it, grumbling in response, but Leon had already moved over to Arcanine, whom crouched down. The young man hefted the young woman up and them himself over, grabbing the charcoal collar in one hand while wrapping the other arm around Cassandra's waist to steady her.

"Head straight that way but stop before the town. I'll direct you to the lab. My friend Sonia is there and can help. Hurry!" he commanded and didn't need to say it twice. The fire-type shot off at high speeds, leaving Charizard behind, though was careful to avoid limbs that might hurt the trainers. Leon kept his head low just in case, but found it was only perhaps a minute before the Pokémon skidded to a halt and barked. They were already at the edge of the woods. He scanned quickly and pointed to a building. "There! Quick, around the back."

Arcanine rushed over, leaping over a tall shrub and lowering down immediately. Leon slid off, pausing only to gently lift Cassandra in his arms, and kicked the back door in place of knocking. He was grateful for the high hedges of the backyard, though it didn't stop his panic from rising with each second that passed and the door didn't open. He contemplated breaking it down when the lock clicked and opened, revealing his childhood friend in her lab attire. Her eyes were red, and puffy—like she hadn't slept well or been crying. They began to water at the sight of him, her gasp covered by her hand.

"Leon! You're alive—!"

"Cassandra needs help! She's dying!" he shouted back, pushing through. Sonia stepped aside, confused as she looked between her friend and the Arcanine that stepped closer. She glanced to the woman in Leon's arms, and finally noticed the red stains on their clothing.

She gasped again, "Oh my Arceus—quickly, in here! The lab table, it's sterilized!"

He hoofed it over, setting the injured redhead down, "She was cut with a sword—it's bad. She's been bleeding for a while and she fell in freezing water. I got her warm, but she has a fever and—and we need a nurse or a doctor. Now."

"I—we—you need to take her to the—."

"No! There's people after us. Or—or someone is after us—the guy who did this. I don't know if they followed, but I can't risk being seen. Sonia, please."

The young professor bit her lip, thinking. The Arcanine, once outside, now appeared on the other side of the table, whining as he set his head next to his trainer. He nuzzled the woman, calling out with soft barks. Sonia stepped forward and lifted the tattered side of her shirt. She winced at the reddened flesh and seeping blood. It was bad. She couldn't tend to that kind of wound. Her expertise was Pokémon history and Galarian particles, not medical aid!

"I—okay. I think... I think I can call in a favor. You get the First Aid kit there and put new bandages—to help stop the blood," she explained, motioning, and pulled out her Rotom phone. She punched in a number, and with the phone to her ear, Sonia watched Leon, her friend who had been missing for days. Not a single trace had been found of him besides a secluded area in Wyndon City where a battle had taken place. Witnesses swore they saw him and his Chaizard go that way, but there was nothing. No bodies. No Pokémon. No cameras got a good view. Just blood stains and damage to the brick and steel and pavement. He'd been presumed dead. Now here he was. Alive. And he came back with an Arcanine and some strange woman bleeding half to death with him—one he cared enough about to look so worried he might just collapse himself. 

What in Arceus' name had happened?

"Postwick Pokémon center, Nurse Joy speaking."

"Joy, I need to call in on that favor you owe me. You have to keep it secret, but I need a house call. For a human."

The line was quiet for a moment.