"How so?" she frowned.

"Ah, it's... y'know," he started, rubbing his own neck now. Like him, she sensed the struggle.

"It's fine if you don't want to—."

He waved, "No, it's fine. I'm more... embarrassed. Or disappointed, I don't know. I just.. ever since the fight with Eternatus and then losing to Gloria right after... things just haven't felt the same. I don't feel as strong as I used to."

"Isn't that normal, though?" she mused, but he only shrugged. "You grew up unbeatable. If I were you, I'd feel pretty weird and definitely crummy for losing like that, especially to someone so much younger."

"Maybe, but it's just... The fight with Eternatus... I should have... But I... And... the Chairman...," he sighed, running both hands over his face and through his hair. "He betrayed me—the people. All of us. And I didn't notice. I was too caught up in the Challenge. I let him get away with something terrible, and then I couldn't even fix my mistake. I had to rely on my brother and his friend—just kids!"

Leon didn't know why he was saying it or even anything about it. It was stupid, complaining like he was. The region had been saved and Gloria was just a better trainer, as much as his pride hated to admit it. She was a good kid, and had worked hard to become not only the Hero of Galar, but it's new Champion. She belonged in that role. He was far past his time.

"You blame yourself because even though you did everything you could... it wasn't enough."

The young man's head shot up, golden eyes wide. Cassandra wasn't looking at him; she couldn't bring herself to. Instead, she focused on the fire, and let him think what he would.

"You...," he started, uncertainty lingering in his voice.

She did look at over at him then and reached over to place her hand on the one he braced on the floor.

She smiled gently, "Yeah, I understand."

Leon felt his chest tighten as his heart raced. A chill ran through him, though not for the cold. It was a silly thing to feel over such simple words, and yet—they weren't so simple were they? Was he really that pitiful, though? To be moved so strongly by such a thing; by empathy? Surely, that what it was, and he could hardly fathom how she could feel the same, and yet, he supposed, of all people, she might.

Cassandea had traveled so many regions and seen so much, and she had things she couldn't bring herself to say, too, didn't she? She probably knew failure, the kind that ate you and drove you mad. It was selfish of him, but he was glad. Gloria he couldn't possibly say anything to. He couldn't tell Hop about it, either—he didn't dare let his brother fret—and Sonia was too busy with her own life and worried about him enough as it was. His mother, of course, he'd never tell even if it killed him, and that left, well, no one really. He could only do whatever he could think to do to make up for his mistake, and he supposed the Battle Tower was part of that. Along with making other trainers stronger, it was a way to improve himself, too. After all, he was no longer undefeated and he'd yet to beat Gloria there either.

"What... did you do for it?"

"Everything you shouldn't," she chuckled, hand pulling back and her hazel eyes falling. His gut urged him to pry—to help her as she had him, but he didn't. He had no right. That, or maybe he was just too stubborn or too scared to know the answer, he couldn't say.

She sighed, "Anyways, looks like the fish soup is ready, so let's eat, and then we can either talk or get some more sleep."

"Probably sleep. I still feel tired easily," he chuckled, glad for the change in topic.