Part 21

Her two-week hospital stay gave Lyla a new appreciation for the things she'd taken for granted. Sleeping in her own bed. Metal silverware and ceramic plates. Belts and shoelaces. A closet and dresser full of clothes. And an indulgent 20-minute hot shower.   

Sitting on the bed wrapped in her old robe, she finished drying her hair. With makeup bag in hand, she crossed the room to her vanity mirror where she was spooked by her fractured reflection, her face split apart like a deformed jigsaw puzzle. She'd forgotten that the mirror was cracked. But the vivid memory of how it happened brought a chill.

She was last-minute-packing for her Spring Break trip to the shore with Darcy. She went to the vanity to gather her makeup. When she glanced into the mirror, she recoiled at the image of Keenan standing behind her.

Lyla whipped around to find no one there. She attributed it to frayed nerves and a trick of the shadows until something struck the mirror, cracking the glass. The silver serpent ring rolled to a stop on her desktop. 

She didn't want to think about that. That was in the past. She grabbed her makeup bag with a trembling hand,  darted into the bathroom, and began applying mascara in front of the mirror.

Her dad appeared in the doorway. "Sure you don't want me to go with you?"

"I can pick out my own phone, Dad."

"Don't go outside our plan. I can't afford it."

"I know. We talked about it. I got this."

"You take your morning meds?"

She gestured to her open medication bag on top of the toilet. "That's next on my list."

He handed her a drinking cup. She let out a long sigh then filled the cup from the sink. She opened her prescription bottles and tapped a med out of each into her hand. She downed the first two pills. The pink and gray capsule was last. She examined it.

"Something wrong?"

She held it between her thumb and index finger up to the light. "Nope," she said then struggled to swallow it. "There." She showed him an open mouth. "All gone."

"You're not driving, are you?"

"Darcy's driving."

"Good."

"I'm gonna be fine, Dad. Really. I gotta get dressed," she said as she slipped past then back into her bedroom.

                                                                      ...............................

Lyla leaned on the porch rail, waiting for Darcy. It was a glorious Saturday morning, the kind you get only a few times a year. The kids down the street chattered and laughed as they rode their little bikes in circles. 

Movement next door caught her eye. The next-door neighbor withdrew from her surveillance post at the miniblinds. Lyla offered a smile and a casual wave. 

Darcy's car pulled to the curb. Lyla took a deep breath, jogged down the porch steps, opened the passenger door, and slid in. Darcy welcomed her with a heartfelt smile. She leaned across the seat and wrapped her skinny, freckled arms tightly around Lyla. While they embraced, Lyla inhaled Darcy's fragrance. The unique scent of her best friend warmed her like a soft blanket.

Darcy slid back into her seat, fastening her seatbelt. She pushed the auburn bangs out of her watery eyes and said, "Hey, you."

"Hey, yourself."

"So. How ya been?" Darcy steered her car from the curb.

"Okay." Lyla knew the follow-up was going to be tough for her friend so she offered, "I missed you."

"Missed you, too."

"How's Richie?"

"You know. He's Richie."

Lyla nodded.

Darcy grinned widely and in a dramatic voice, she said, "Look out world. Here we come. Two single ladies out on the town."

Lyla pumped her fist. "Going to the mall!"

"Who runs the world?"

"Girls."

"Who runs the mall?"

"Girls. Who buys the phones?"

"Phone. My dad said I just got my phone. Which I guess is somewhat true. Even though the screen is already cracked." She stuck her tongue out of the corner of her mouth.

Lyla chuckled. It was unexplainable how entertaining Darcy was to her. And this was undoubtedly the best path forward. There would be time later for serious talk and tears and uncomfortable questions. But for right now, it was a great relief to fall back into the familiar quirky best friends' routine. 

Lyla knew that Darcy had been worried sick about her. She probably melted down into multiple crying fits when she learned that her best friend had been admitted to the hospital. The psychiatric hospital. Darcy's love and compassion for Lyla were boundless and well documented. She was there for Lyla during her mom's illness and passing. She had provided unflinching support during the whole Keenan and Jack situation, despite the fact that Lyla refused to offer a single detail. No matter the medication or treatment Lyla was prescribed, she knew in her heart that the best therapy was and always would be Darcy.