Chapter 2 - Life After High School

Joyce and Hopper stayed friends well after high school, but nothing ever came of their kiss the night of junior prom. They both wanted it to but neither was honest with the other, afraid that their friendship would be ruined. So they didn't tell each other how they truely felt about each other and they continued with their lives.  Years and years had gone by and they had both gone through so much trauma after high school. After Hopper moved away, started a family and lost his daughter and after Joyce's traumatic marriage with Lonnie, Will being lost in the upside down and Bob's death they both relied on each more than they had ever known. They couldn't live without each other anymore but neither wanted to admit it.

Joyce worked in Melvards as the assistant manager and hopper was the police chief of Hawkins. They had been through so much together in recent years. Hopper was the only person Joyce could turn to after Will got lost in the upside down. They were sworn to secrecy by the government about the whole ordeal, leaving no one but each other to talk about the event with. This only brought them closer together. He went to every doctors appointment with her and Will and he always came round to check on her and her family. He would always go into Melvards at lunch to see her and she would always go into Hawkins police station to visit him. People always presumed they were a couple. Especially Karen Wheeler.

Karen was a good friend of Joyce's ever since high school. They were quite close in school and Karen had always joked about how she had a secret crush on Hopper. This was true but it always got to Joyce; at the time she didn't know if Hop liked her back and was terrified of what Lonnie would do to them both if he found out. Still, Karen was always right about how Joyce felt about Hopper.

Joyce and Hopper were like a family now. El considered Joyce to be like a mum to her and Will and Jonathan looked at Hopper like a father figure.  They would quite often have movie nights and sleepovers together. They even had breakfast together every Sunday morning. Sunday mornings were always eggo extravaganzas. All three kids knew how much Joyce and Hop loved each other. They could see it every time Hopper walked into the Byer's house. It felt like home to him. He would look at Joyce with loving eyes as she pottered about the house, not realising that the kids could see how he felt. He admired everything little thing about her. From the way she always looked so beautiful without putting any effort into how she looked to how she cared so much for El like she was her own daughter, he was completely in love with Joyce. Hop knew he couldn't live like this anymore. His heart grew heavy every time he had to leave their house because it wasn't his home, even though it felt like it. He desperately wanted to wake up next to the women he loved and be a father to her boys. He wanted her. So bad. It was time for him to tell her how he truely felt about her.