Chapter 11

They keep a close eye on the demon for hours, going through more stores in one day than Castiel has likely ever been to in his life. It's a miracle that the vessel's family can fit everything they bought into their trunk. It almost feels like they're never going to go home — which Emma voices numerous times — when they finally find themselves in a small neighborhood. When the demon's car pulls into a driveway, James pulls off to the side of the road, barely in view of the house. They can't just barge in there, James reasons, though how they'll know when they're needed, Castiel can't guess.

Everyone in the family has to help bring the bags inside. There are three young kids, and of course they can't bring very many bags inside at once, so when one person walks in with a bag, another person walks out to grab more. Every time, a dog peeps its face out the door, and every time, someone has to shove it back inside, which Castiel finds far too entertaining.

Why did he never have a dog? He used to have a home in the bunker. His dog would have been very happy there, assuming it would leave the books and all the magic items alone. And, of course, touching Dean's stuff would have been a death sentence. But an old dog who didn't do very much would have fit perfectly there. Had Castiel had a new home and not just a new car and series of motels to live in, maybe he'd consider getting one.

He's pulled from his thoughts when one of the kids — a young boy who can't be more than eight years old — runs out of the house, screaming. Instantly, Emma and James are out of the car, and Castiel hurries after them.

"What happened?" James asks the kid quickly.

The boy breaks down crying, and all his words are lost to his sobs.

"Go," Emma says firmly. "I'll stay here with the kid."

James and Castiel run inside just as a little girl is running out. They jump aside to let her by, and James yells something about the woman outside keeping them safe as she passes. Hopefully, when the kid sees her brother, she'll recognize Emma as a helping figure. Castiel and James split up, each searching a different side of the house. With another child and a mother still here with the demon somewhere, there's no time to lose.

Castiel kicks open doors and runs up and down stairs, but he can't find anything or anyone here. It's almost like the demon left, and took the bodies with him. But even if this demon is acting strange -- staying in one place for three massacres certainly isn't the norm -- it wouldn't take the bodies if it's left them every time before.

But then there's a scream and a loud thunk from the basement, and Castiel immediately turns back to find the stairs. He may not have his wings anymore, but he feels as though he's flying on his way down to the basement.

The first thing Castiel sees is James lying against the wall, his leg bent unnaturally beneath him and his head dripping in blood. Had that been the only thing he'd seen, he would've run to his side immediately, but — and likely for the best — he also sees a young girl on the floor, a stab wound in her stomach that Castiel knows will be fatal if he doesn't get to her quickly.

And, of course, the demon is here, holding its vessel's wife by the throat. When it sees him, it tosses the wife to the side carelessly, and it's only the soft groan she makes that lets Castiel know she's alive. The demon steps towards him, a smile on its face.

"Castiel," it says, its smirk making Castiel far too uncomfortable. "I thought that was you."

"Do I know you?" Castiel asks, confused.

"Oh, I doubt it," it says. "But everyone knows you." It glances at the door, then asks, "Are the Winchesters coming, or are you the only one I get the pleasure of killing?"