Chapter 1

Castiel has relied on the Winchesters since his fall from grace, and, for the longest time, he thought they felt the same way about him. He realized too late that he was just a convenience for them, a tool to use and then put away until they needed him again.

They weren't family.

They never were.

And that's why he had to leave.

Ten years isn't long to an angel. He existed long before the human race was even a thought in God's mind. Ten years is barely a fraction of his existence, passing by in the blink of an eye. But these last ten years have been monumental, more important than the millennia that preceded them. He still can't believe what he managed to build in just a single decade.

And he can't believe it fell apart in an instant.

It's not the first time he's had to live without the Winchester, but it may be the hardest. He thought it was bad when Dean asked him to leave after Castiel cast the angels out of Heaven, but he could cope with being alone because he knew he'd be back with them soon, and he knew they'd want him to stay strong, and that was enough to hold him over until he got comfortable where he was.

This is different. They don't want to see him anymore. Dean watched him walk out that door and didn't say a damn thing. If Dean didn't care, no one will. That's one thing he learned a long time ago — Dean cares for him more than anyone else. They have a special bond, unique and almost unbreakable.

Almost.

He briefly debates returning to Heaven. They are always in need of new angels, so he knows he wouldn't be turned away. But he's also not on the best of terms with them, and hasn't been for years. Though they may allow him to stay, he knows he wouldn't truly be welcome.

Which leaves one more choice.

He's still adjusting to earth. He feels he may always be adjusting. But maybe living among the humans, climbing his way through their social ladder is what it takes to adjust. Maybe he won't always clean the slushie machines and live in a homeless shelter. He can make a home here; a real home.

But what's a home worth when he's there all alone?