Chapter 24

"Let's make it clear that I did not say the dog would be euthanized. Kid probably assumed pound equaled death." Anna laughed as she helped Jane set the table, earning a snort of amusement from the blonde.

"Of course the little con artist did. Not that I would have actually told her she couldn't keep the fluff ball." Jane retorted, kneeling to pet the aforementioned creature, which was gnawing on a chew toy Anna had brought with her.

"Of course you wouldn't. Speaking of Katherine issues, have you met with Edmund yet?"

Anna asked after a few minutes of silence, earning a sigh from Jane who managed a nod.

"He was...surprisingly pleasant...and He signed but only after practically interrogating me about how Katherine was doing," Jane answered, glancing at the taller woman who just shrugged.

"Maybe underneath everything he did love her in some way. Still doesn't excuse blaming a child for her mother's death though."

Jane sighed and nodded, cursing under her breath as the pot she had been minding began to boil over.

"You have no idea how much I wanted to smack that man after how many nights I had to sit up with her until she calmed down thanks to all of that bullocks." She retorted, just as the door practically slammed open.

"Guess what!"

Jane rolled her eyes at the half yelled, excited tone of none other than Anne Boleyn (who was followed closely by an equally excited Katherine Howard).

"I'm guessing that if you break my door that you'll replace it?"

She quipped, only to be ignored by the slightly younger woman.

"Sorry. Anyway, Kitkat and I were talking about that music thing she wanted to go to for a week and we figured out how she could raise most of the money." Anne announced, earning a groan from both the other women.

"It's not even close to the deadlines for that Bo, although you two can tell us all about it over lunch. Kitty and I had some plans for today, didn't we?"

Jane retorted, watching Katherine's eyes go wide.

"Wait, you remembered? I thought....with everyone here...."

Katherine's stammering earned an amused grin from Jane who responded by messing up the girl's hair.

"Yeah, pretty sure Aragon can keep the house in one piece while we're gone. Not like Boleyn is still the annoying little twerp she was in secondary."   Jane responded, earning an obscene hand gesture from Anne (and a giggle from Kat.)

"You guys went to school together? I mean, I knew you've known each other forever but I didn't realize you guys went that far back."

Katherine said after her cousin and guardian stopped bickering.

"All but Aragon but that whole thing is complicated by itself. Anne and I were in the same year." Jane replied, earning a scoff from Anne.

"We may have been in the same year but Jane wasn't on the same planet! She was a massive bitch and..." Anne began, only to be cut off by the pink-haired girl.

"Hold up, what? You two get along so well now? How did that happen?"

Jane and Anne exchanged looks before Jane sighed.

"That, my girl, is a story for another time. Right now we'd better get going. They're giving rain for this afternoon."