i don't believe in past lives

it seems impractical, is all. how would someone even prove their existence prior to this one, you know?

but. it's fun to think about the 'what if's.

what if i was a farm boy and spent all my time with sheep? what if i was a princess and lived in an old, decrepit castle? what if i was a bird that called unbelievably loud? what if i was a pirate, peg leg and parrot and all? what if i was a musician and performed in front of thousands of screaming fans? what if i was a world-renowned author? what if my books left the comfort of my laptop and only a fraction of the people they encountered found them corny?

though, there's definitely a truth woven into every what if: you had to have been there.

be it one life, be it all, you would've been with me. the farm, the branch, the stage. wherever. maybe even the more realistic ones. maybe you entered a café i worked at once or twice. maybe we worked in a floral shop and you told me the symbolism behind every flower we sold. maybe i showed you a rough draft to the first story i was actually proud of and i saw my own face-splitting grin on your face. maybe you were always there for me.

but, i digress, because it's impractical. how would i even prove it, you know?