𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. riverrun

❛ she was not for everyone, but she was for me

❛ she was not for everyone, but she was for me. ❜

               ━━━━ 𝐑𝐎𝐁𝐁 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐒 𝐏𝐄𝐍𝐒𝐈𝐕𝐄𝐋𝐘 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐄 and Vhaehrys walks up behind him, her shoulder brushing against his bicep, robust and warm. "I read many books throughout my lifetime," she says looking up into his blue eyes, "most of them coming from Essos and the Valyrian cities. Do you know what the Valyrian books told me? It told me you Westerosi were a grim lot. Grim, bearded, stinking barbarians that would row across the Narrow Sea and steal strangers from their beds." She half-embraces him, snuggling her face deeper into his chest. 

"Did you ever think you would ever marry one?"

"I never thought I'd marry anyone at all."

"Never?"

"Not until I met the king of the grim, bearded, stinking barbarians," they kiss, loving the feel of their lover's lips on their own, reminding them of the first kiss they ever shared on their wedding day. However, Roose Bolton enters the chamber, "Pardon me, Your Grace. My queen." 

"Lord Bolton," Vhaehrys greets him. The lord raises his hands, showing the pair two messages from ravens. 

"Let me guess which one is the good news," Robb says sarcastically.

"Word from Riverrun and Winterfell."

***

IN THE HARRENHAL COURTYARD, Robb stands and Catelyn sits in an archway, dismal. "I hadn't seen him in years. I don't even know how many." 

"We'll travel to the funeral together," Robb tells his mother, Vhaehrys nodding her head, grabbing onto Robb's hand. "Lord Bolton will garrison here until we return."

"Will I be wearing manacles when I lay my father to rest?" Robb doesn't answer, and Vhaehrys turns to look at her good mother with a solemn look. "Something else?" 

"By the time Bolton's bastard Ramsay got to Winterfell, the Ironborn were gone," Robb changes the subject quickly. "They massacred everyone and put the castle to the torch. And Bran and Rickon have not been found. They may have escaped. Or Theon may have taken them back to the Iron Islands as hostages."

"Have you received any demands?"

"No."

"Have you heard anything from Theon at all?"

Silence.

***

ROBB'S MEN MOVE ALONG a path through the woods. Grey Wind follows as Rickard and Robb watch the men march past, Vhaehrys striking up a conversation with GreatJon. "We're at war. This march is a distraction," Rickard tells Robb, turning to look at him, then back at the men.