3 | Code Word: Mascot

Start from the beginning

Yoongi is in the middle of making a point when Jungkook invades the space next to him in the cafeteria zone where he's lounging with Jin. He assumes it wasn't the best time to interrupt when he observes the opposing vibes circulating in the air: while Jin looks dead from exhaustion, Yoongi combusts with energy like the tale he is telling is the dopest story in the history of dope stories — oh.

"You should never let your guards down when it comes to writing papers, Seokjin hyung. Don't be like the French; one strategy isn't going to help you succeed, no matter how strong you believe it to be!"

Jin disdainfully shrinks into the couch the more that he listens, eyes begging into Jungkook's in a silent a salvation call. Jungkook spaces out a little, unsure of how he's supposed to distract Yoongi without getting caught.

"Isn't it, Jungkookie?" calls Yoongi on cue, throwing an arm around Jungkook's neck and playfully ruffling his hair. He is in great mood, Jungkook can tell from the way his gums show behind his smile. 

The hyung is seriously obsessed with the damn story. It's goosebump-raising every time it surfaces.

"Yup," Jungkook smiles back warmly, peering up at Yoongi through his eyelashes gaily. "We should learn from the warring Germans, find a smart way to hack into every system. Because there is no such thing as perfection as we can learn from the Maginot Line failure."

Yoongi's smile falters for a bit, and Jungkook swears his heart shatters with it. He couldn't have messed up the story, he is confident he knows it by heart now! Hell everyone around Yoongi has memorized it by now.

But then Yoongi is pulling him to his chest abruptly, wiping an imaginary tear from his left eye. "Can't believe the baby learned so well Seokjin."

Jin physically face-palms, figure disappearing from where he completely slides down the couch. Jungkook grins proudly, ditching Jin's earlier save-me call because every praise coming from Yoongi is a 'touchdown' in itself, referencing to sports the main theme of the day with that.

"Oh, right," Jungkook blinks. "Did you guys see the mascot raffle truck go around school? Is it already time for the nationals?"

Yoongi swallows his ice americano sip with a delicious lip pop, finger supporting his chin as his eyes fixate into distance. Jungkook blinks again in distraction, trying to locate the point at which Yoongi is so deeply focused on. Add to that that comical expression on his face, like he is trying not to smile but he knows something. He is not even sure if Yoongi is listening to him.

"Did I just hear 'mascot'?"

Jungkook jumps on his seat, holding back a scream. Jin is sitting on his right side like he didn't just ghost out of nowhere.

"What the hell, Jin hyung!"

"Jungkook-ah." Yoongi waves his hand like it's not a big deal, signing with his eyes for Jungkook to sit back and listen. Jungkook can't process what just happened, still clutching his thumping heart as Yoongi leans into his ear cautiously. "How much exactly do you know about the mascot raffle?"

Jungkook tries waking himself up. "Why are you guys whispering, the truck has literally been screaming at the halls- "

"Sush! Are you trying to get us caught?!" Jin hits him hard in the arm, after which Jungkook turns into a filling of Yoongi and Jin sandwich bodies who are suffocating him to decease.

"We can't do this here. It's too dangerous." Yoongi scans around.

"Think it's time to let him know?" Jin peeks over.