Ch 44: A New Start

Start from the beginning

"I fail to see how that solves any of the problems, Sir Arthur," interjected Walter. He crossed his arms and straightened his spine. "That child is still going to be an extra mouth to feed. He'll be a distraction, as well."

Tracey bristled at his comment and placed a protective hand over her stomach. Walker continued.

"Also, from what I know, you and your sister do not get along with one another. So even if by some miracle the Lady Adelaide does agree to help you raise this child, are the both of you going to raise him separately? Or are you merely going to fight in front of him?"

"I would like to add something, as well." Adelaide almost groaned as Emily stepped forward to give her opinion. She crafted a fake expression of worry on her face as she addressed the room and only briefly glanced at Roland. "Lady Adelaide, who is a dear friend of mine," Charity snorted at the words, was smacked by her mother, while Emily continued perturbed by the interruption. "Though she may be a wonderful woman, I do not think she is the type fit to raise a child. She was married to a man for nearly seven years and never gave him a child during that entire time of their marriage. Does that not say something about her and her child-rearing capabilities?"

"I fail to see the relevance in your statement, Lady Emily," Tracey countered, clearly becoming agitated on Adelaide's behalf. "Not having had children in her marriage does not mean that Lady Adelaide would be a bad parent nor that she does not want them. I have the utmost confidence that Lady Adelaide would be a wonderful mother, and despite her and Sir Arthur's differences, I would be more than willing to provide this child with a loving guardian."

The room continued discussing the matter and as the conversation endured, Adelaide's concerns grew even more as the group of individuals began raising many topics and questions that she had not even considered. It was at that moment that Adelaide realized that she had always been far too hasty of a person, choosing to make huge decisions in a matter of seconds rather than days.

The room went still as Hugh raised his hand. Every eye fell on the older man with all his majesty and wisdom and waited for his opinion.

"I do not have an issue with the boy," he stated, looking at Adelaide so intensely she shivered. "However, I do have an issue with him staying here, within the castle. Sir Arthur, you've been a great companion of Lord Henry's over the years and for that I am grateful. It is for that reason that I did not say anything when your sister first came to stay with us. However, once again you bring us another mouth to feed, another body to clothe, and another person to protect. And yet, what is it you offer in return? You are not a soldier who is fighting and training for our cause. You are merely a painter. Furthermore, your sister is not a seamstress, nor a cook, nor does she clean. We feed and shelter her for nothing in exchange, and not once has she expressed her gratitude to us for our mercy and grace.

"And now, you bring a child into our mists who will be no one's companion as he grows, who will be unable to fight in the coming war in exchange for our care, and who will not be expected to benefit the Lancaster people or the Tudor Household in any way in the coming years." Adelaide's throat went dry and her stomach dropped, but Hugh Livingstone continued. "Therefore, I am afraid that I am going to have to protest strongly to that boy living here. Especially if you and your sister are going to continue leaching off Lord Jasper and Lord Henry."

"Furthermore," Walter chimed in. "Your sister's stay here was never intended to be a permanent one, and yet she seems to have no intention of leaving anytime soon."

Adelaide was silent, unsure of how to respond to either of them. She merely blinked stupefied before her attention fell on Henry. He has remained silent for the duration of the meeting, not having displayed a shred of emotion once throughout the entire conversation. But he stepped forward, sighed heavily, and the room turned to him expectantly.