Ch 38: Protectiveness

Adelaide wasn't sure how to take in the expressions on everyone's faces. It was odd seeing men who'd she'd fought with and joked loudly alongside looking at her with such tenderness. They all bowed to her as Henry approached, and Adelaide had to resist laughing and shying away from the uncharacteristic behavior. Thankfully, Henry's body shielded her view as he stopped in front of her. He looked from her hands to the bottle of paints and raised an eyebrow.

"I didn't know you were running low on supplies," he whispered, smirking slightly. Adelaide rolled her eyes and set the brushed down. She thanked the vendor, who nodded happily at her quick sketches and shuffled them away before Adelaide could ask to have them or pay for them. "I think he's going to try and make money off what you just drew," commented Henry as he watched the man scurry to the back of his stall to store the canvases.

"Doesn't matter to me," Adelaide said with a shrug as she wiped off her hands. "I didn't pay for anything, so at least him selling those few pairings should be enough of a thanks."

"I could have lent you the money," Henry continued in a quiet voice, making sure the other boys couldn't overhear their words. "Why'd he start letting you paint, anyway? From what I know, vendors don't usually just let nonpaying, stranger/ use their products."

"I think he thought I was pretty," Adelaide admitted honestly, her face a little red at her own statement. Henry raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything. Adelaide coughed a little and folded her hands together in her lap. "People, mostly men, have been giving me a lot of free stuff and wanting to converse with me."

"Maybe they just think you're a rich widow," joked Henry. Adelaide scowled and resisted the urge to smack him. Henry just grinned and gave Adelaide a quick look over. Instinctively, Adelaide blushed, her face hot under his gaze. "You do look very pretty as a girl, though. The dress compliments you."

Adelaide couldn't help but notice an unfamiliar look in Henry's eyes. It looked almost like sadness despite his smile. Before she could inquire further, Henry was turning to the other boys who were standing quite a distance away waiting. On cue, they all stood a little straighter.

"Yep, we have the right girl," stated Henry as he shifted a hand behind Adelaide's back. His palm pressed against the small of her back, urging her forward, and stayed there. She'd seen men do this sort of gesture countless times when introducing or guiding women, but she hasn't realized how feminine and delicate it would make her feel. She wasn't going to lie either. She liked it. "Would you like to introduce yourself?"

Smiling, Adelaide curtsied to the boys, making sure to fan her dress properly. Her main foot hurt a little from the weight of the fabric while her back foot balanced her on aching toes. The addition of layers and grace made the action a lot more complicated than it has been during practice, but Adelaide straightened smoothly and didn't stumble.

"My name is Adelaide Auckland, it's a pleasure to meet you." Adelaide's voice was slightly higher pitch than usual, which Henry noticed immediately. She had wanted to make a distinction between herself and Arthur, which had resulted in the raised octave. But Adelaide was finding it difficult to recognize her own tone and was focusing a bit too hard on being consistent with her speech pattern. Henry's cough, which sounded bizarrely like a laugh, was the only indication that her voice was semi-abnormal.

"And is that your maiden name or...?" Inquired Marcus. Adelaide raised an eyebrow at the eagerness to the question. She glanced at Henry briefly but received just a shrug in response. Turning back to the group of men, Adelaide gave her best attempt at a grave and saddened smile.

"Auckland was my husband's last name," she explained. She looked down at the ground, hoping to give the illusion she was on the verge of tears. Adelaide had reasoned back at her room that she could avoid personal questions if she just started crying. She'd been practicing off and on for the past few days and was surprisingly good at it.