Ch 44: A New Start

Start from the beginning

"He'll eventually grow," countered Walter quickly, stepping forward and surprising Adelaide. "Are we to be expected to train him in addition to feeding and clothing him? What about education? Who will teach him? It is a waste of time to foster an unknown child, Arthur. To delegate resources to an individual who will be useless in the coming years is ridiculous. He will be far too young and weak to fight on the battlefield when we retake England."

Adelaide bristled, glaring, but didn't respond as her eyes landed on Henry. He seemed to be contemplating something, his expression muted. His silence was cold and Adelaide found it difficult to understand his thoughts and feelings about the matter, something that was uncommon for her.

"Furthermore, who will be expected to care for him?" A woman named Fortune asked. She was stern in appearance, dying traces of beauty on her face. She wasn't much more pleasant than her daughter Emily but was at least more level-headed and wise. "He will further care than just sword fighting. Someone will need to b responsible for him. Nurture him as he grows."

"I will do that," Adelaide said with unfounded confidence. Fortune scoffed at the comment, rolling her eyes and folding her hands.

"A man can not be expected to care and raise a child properly," she stated firmly.

"I refute that statement Lady Fortune," interjected Theodore. His expression was agitated and his tone offended. He had moved closer to Tracey and had a possessive hand on her shoulder as if by squeezing her he was reaffirming her that Fortune's words were untrue and that he would be a great father to their child.

"I mean no offense, Sir Theodore," Fortune hastily corrected. "What I merely mean by my words is that the care that a man can offer is not equivalent to that of a woman. A child needs both a mother figure and a father figure. It, therefore, begs the question, Sir Arthur: are you expecting to shove this responsibility onto one of the women here? I do not know many who would be willing to raise a child that is not their own alongside a man that they are not married to. You are asking an awful lot, Sir Arthur."

As much as Adelaide hated Fortune and her words, wanted to disagree with the notion that she was unable to do this alone, she was aware that the older woman was right, at least in some regards. Roland needed a mother just as much as he needed a father. Proper parents who could share the responsibility. After all, the two-year-old had already been deprived of a childhood with two loving caretakers. And Adelaide, having grown without either parent, new the loneliness that came along with it.

In her confusion and uncertainty, Adelaide sought Henry's gaze. He didn't comment, clearly expecting her to figure out a solution on her own, as usual. He refused to make a decision for her. Adelaide looked to Jasper next, who offered nothing but a soft smile. Slightly annoyed that both of them were being so unhelpful in this matter, she turned desperately to Kayden. He seemed surprised by her attention, his eyes widening a little and his mouth parting in uncertainty, unsure what she expected from him.

"If my sister is willing to help me care for the child," the words were tepid as they left Adelaide's mouth and she could already see the holes forming in her plan. Her gaze broke from Kayden as she solidified her shaky resolve and turned to address the entire room with a half-baked solution. "Would that smooth over all of your concerns regarding the matters?"

The room was quiet as they contemplated Adelaide's words.

As they thought through her suggestion, Adelaide silently said goodbye to her resolve to tell them all the truth, which she really hadn't wanted to do anyway. If she was to raise Roland under the pretense that he was being cared for by both Adelaide and Arthur than she would have to continue lying to them. She ignored the pestering anxiety that began to set in and the worry that was making her nauseous. How was she supposed to keep up this act forever, pretending to be two people at once? If she was discovered, what would happen to her or Roland? Furthermore, how would the small boy be effected by this lifestyle she was going to be forcing onto him? Would she be enough?