Chapter 4 - Jason

BACK AT THE Chicago Field Office, Donnelly sat in front of his computer and stared uncomprehendingly at his email. On the third read, he finally got that there was a mandatory meeting the next day at 3 pm. He put it on his Outlook and moved on to the next one.

His mind kept going back to earlier in the day to his get together with Siobhan of the House of McIver. Somehow, he doubted it went the way Patrick McIver would have wanted it to go. They both should have known better.

Focus. This email was about new procedures for expense reporting. He made a note about it in his daily journal. Everybody thinks being an FBI agent is all kicking in doors and shooting people. Mostly, it's unending chain of email. He moved on. The next email was a reminder about the upcoming annual benefits sign up.

His mind drifted back to Siobhan. Her brother had been right; she was in trouble. It broke his heart. It made him angry, too, how she was facing it by ignoring it, but mostly, it broke his heart.

She'd grown up in the time since he'd last seen her. Thinned out. Lost her baby fat. She looked beautiful, but at the same time, she looked awful. Underneath the expensive dress and expertly applied makeup, it was clear she was struggling. It was all he could do not to take her in his arms and tell her it would be okay.

But would it? He opened the McIver file on Livingston and re-read it for the 1000th time.

The Livingston family is the third wealthiest family in the United States. The family owns 95% of Livingston Industries,  which makes it the nation's largest privately owned corporation. All family members are direct descendants of William Livingston, a third son of a British aristocrat, who emigrated to the United States in the early 19th century.

The Livingstons were first farmers before incorporating their business after the Civil War. The exact wealth of the Livingston family is unknown because they operate a private business with no obligation to report their wealth. According to Forbes, the family counts 20 billionaires among its members, which is more than any other family in the world, including royal houses.

The Livingston family is divided into three branches. The Arthur Livingston branch oversees the family's agricultural concerns. The Pierce Livingston branch oversees minerals and oil refineries. The Malcolm Livingston branch oversees its arms and munitions division.

After the unexpected death of Jackson Livingston, Alexander Livingston became CEO of the arms and munitions division. He was 28 years old.

The synopsis closed with a picture of Alexander Livingston, taken last year, in military fatigues and walking next to an old man in a tan uniform with lots of medals on his chest. 

So, he's an arms dealer. That's a pertinent fact that would have been nice to know beforehand. Donnelly rubbed his forehead. Who the hell are these people?

The first recorded meeting between Alexander and Siobhan (FitzEdward six) occurred at age twelve, during one of the company picnics. Images of the even show her, her brother Sean (FitzEdward three), and Livingston talking briefly. No other contact was reported until...

The PDF jumped from there to an incident when Siobhan was age 15. Something was redacted, Donnelly thought. Someone didn't want full disclosure.

At age fifteen, Siobhan reported to her guardian, Patrick McIver (FitzEdward two) that Alexander had propositioned her during a Christmas party hosted by the Livingston family trust. After an internal investigation, it was determined that Siobhan misunderstand Alexander's remarks; however, both families agreed that separation would be best until Siobhan reached her majority.