💝 Japan x New Zealand 💝

Japan looked at herself in the mirror, her reflection staring right back at her. She had a blank expression, her flag seemed paler than usual. Japan blinked slowly. She was conscious of how she looked; though she was adorable, with her cat ears and tail, but she somehow still wasn't happy.

Japan sighed, hugging herself. Maybe she just wasn't really meant for looking nice.

Japan slowly looked down to her phone which began to ring, hesitantly picking it up and answering it.

"Hello," She croaked, her voice recognisable, as it was at a unique pitch. The girl on the other side suddenly started to panic, she heard how Japan sounded different.

"Are you alright?" She asked again and again frantically, worrying. Japan managed a slight grin, New Zealand always got this panicked over the smallest things.

"I'm fine," Japan reassured her again and again, "I haven't talked to anyone in a few days, that's all-"

"I'm coming over to your house, like, right now," Kiwi announced, hanging up instantly. Japan blinked and looked down at her phone, almost surprised about how hasty Kiwi was. Japan couldn't help but admire her speed to jump to conclusions, she'd normally take days, sometimes weeks to come to a conclusion. She knew that what Kiwi did, many people thought was annoying, but there was only one word she'd be able to describe it as.

Kawaii.

Japan giggled herself, as her thoughts turned to Kiwi. Kiwi had always been a nut, she always seemed to be on a sugar rush or really high. Maybe both. Kiwi spoke fast, sometimes Japan wouldn't be able to understand her. English wasn't her first language, after all.

Then, once Japan looked back up, she came face to face with herself. A frown replaced the smile on her face, as she was reminded of how unhappy she really was with herself. But, Japan hummed, she'd try and act more cheerful with Kiwi around. Keyword try.

A few moments later, there was a knock at her apartment door. Several knocks, in fact. Japan went to open it, and when she did, Kiwi jumped out at her, pulling her into a hug. Once Japan knew what was happening, she hugged Kiwi back, unsure of why Kiwi was like this. On second thought, Kiwi was normally really clingy. Japan didn't mind it, of course, she actually liked to feel this appreciated.

"Why didn't you call me?" Kiwi asked, speaking quickly as usual. Japan really didn't have much of an answer; she was in bed most of that time, watching an anime or doing something else just as lazy. She didn't like being reminded of herself much.

"I was.. busy," Japan rubbed the back of her neck, "Yeah, I was busy."

Kiwi narrowed her eyes as she stood on her toes to lookout Japan closer. Her face was close to Japan's, as she suddenly poked her on the cheek.

"You adorable bastard, I believe you," Kiwi growled in a low tone. 

"I'm adorable?" Japan asked, tilting her head ever so slightly. Kiwi nodded frantically, grinning widely. Japan felt her self confidence boost up the tiniest bit, a smirk grew across her face. 

After a moment, Kiwi pushed past her, she was in the living room before Japan could even say anything. Japan quickly followed behind her, watching Kiwi deconstruct the sofa, stacking the cushions in a different position. Japan caught on that Kiwi had begun to create a pillow fort, so she decided 'why the hell not', and dragged a pair of chairs from the kitchen into the lounge.

Kiwi cheered, as she positioned the chairs in another place. Japan spun around and went to grab a small stack of pillows and sheets, she made her way back to Kiwi as fast as she could. Of course, Kiwi was always faster than her, she snatched the sheets from Japan and constructed the last of the fort.

Japan blinked - that was possibly the fastest she'd seen someone build a fort before. She swore that Kiwi was going for a world record.

"Sit by me!" Kiwi called out, inviting Japan into the fort. Japan went to sit by her, as Kiwi spun around so she sat facing Japan. Japan hummed as she did the same, looking to Kiwi. "So, South Korea told me that you've been feeling down?"

Japan was silent for a second, before she suddenly burst into tears. Kiwi jumped, not having expected that, and pulled the other into an embrace.

"How does he know?" Japan sobbed into Kiwi's shoulder. Kiwi hummed, signalising that she hadn't a clue.

"Why are you upset?" Kiwi asked, her speech incredibly fast, stressing over Japan.

"I don't like how I look," Japan muttered softly. Kiwi froze, as she took both of Japan's shoulders and pulled away. She had a tight grip on them, she looked right into Japan's eyes.

"You are the most goddamn adorable country I've ever met," She whisper-screamed, "How are you not happy? You're so perfect, Japan, you got me? You have no idea how many people want to be like you!"

Kiwi suddenly smashed their lips together, and pulled away quickly. She'd suddenly gone quiet, looking down to the ground, ashamed of herself.

"..Kiwi?" Japan got her attention. Kiwi looked up to her, speechless, "You could've told me?"

"I'm sorry," Kiwi apologised, hugging herself. Japan shook her head, and made Kiwi look at her properly.

"Don't be," Japan grinned, "You're an amazing person, Kiwi, I'd choose you any day."

Kiwi smiled up at Japan, as Japan looked down to her too. 

No stress, nor anxiety or self-hatred.

It was just them.

Just Japan and Kiwi.

Requested by Vee_the_bee