Chapter 2

~Rosemary Cynthia Raymond

[ The year of 1902 ]

Tobay, Calavary.

Mama always tells me to be submissive as a woman towards men but I am only 16, I should not be worrying about such things right now, I enjoy being rebellious. It is Sunday morning, Ma, Pa and my nine other siblings are going to church. I think I enjoy going to church but it is not because I am religious, it is because I get to see Sir Thomas Simpson. He is 33 and married to Peggy Winston. They have 4 kids, only boys. One of them is my age, Peter Simpson and he keeps insisting for my hand in marriage but I cannot, I am inlove with his Father.
Sir Thomas John Simpson is one of the ministers in our church. Our church is the only church in Calvary and it plays a huge role in the decisions that are made in our town. So I am sure that any young girl who got attention from such a high person in our community like Sir Thomas would have also wanted an affair with him, in addition he is also good looking. He is tall, slim but muscular at the same time, blonde and has blue eyes, there are many teenage girls who are also attracted to him, and I guess I was the lucky one. Women in my society are not supposed to go to school because it is believed that women only belong in the kitchen and should be taking care of the husband, household and children. My mother was not one of those women she believed that everyone is equal and that everyone deserves an education. I am the only girl amongst nine siblings, my mother then told me that If I cannot get an education, I should at least learn French, so that if I become a nurse one day I can at least have more than one language in my literature.
Sir Thomas is a French tutor as well, he teaches me French, but I think we have more sex then doing French. The passion we share is beyond anyone's imagination, I think he loves me, I hope so. It is Monday, the 6th of June 1904, midday, I am getting ready to have my lesson with Sir Thomas. It is my last year with him as my teacher. I am 18 now and ready for marriage according to my father. While getting ready I feel like vomiting, I rush to the bathroom, after vomiting I was heading to the bedroom and I fainted before I could even reach there.
When I woke up, Eloisa my mother's friend who is also a herbalist was checking my temperature with her palm, my mother then said "Sweetheart you finally woke up, I was worried, Eloisa says it is because you have not been eating properly", I nodded , Eloisa then asked; " Rose have you menstruated this month?" My mom looked at Eloisa with such confusion, "What Vicky? I have to ask her, she is not a young girl anymore." I then remembered that I have not menstruated in the last 2 months! I responded; "yes I have aunt Eloisa." That day was when I knew that I was indeed pregnant with Sir Thomas's child. The Friday of that same week I told Thomas about the pregnancy and he said there was only one way we could solve this, Jk Luther Martins, 18 years of age, is looking for a bride from our church, since I am 2 months pregnant I will get married to Luther and have this pregnancy as his and when the child is born, the Martins family will think it is a premature and a miracle that it survived. Since Sir Thomas is the minister at our church he can easily convince the Martins family to have me as their new bride. Three weeks later,me and Luther got married and we had sex on our first wedding night, I think Luther noticed that I was not a virgin but I don't care, we married anyway, he cannot leave me now. I don't love Luther and I never will, I will always love Sir Thomas till death.