Chapter One

WARNING: It's come to my attention that this chapter may be a bit mature. Tread lightly. Trust me, it gets better than this :)

-One Year Later-

~Christine~

I woke up one morning in a cold sweat. He visited my dreams again. I miss him. I think about him all the time. I haven't seen him since the night I betrayed him. Even when I'm with Raoul, I can't stop thinking about him. Him. The man whose heart I broke. The man who I'm in love with. The man who completes me. Erik. I sighed. I need to tell Raoul why I don't want to get married, but I haven't been able to. I'm not sure how he will react, and frankly, I'm afraid of his reaction. That man has changed. He's no longer the sweet, charming man he once was. I realized at that moment I had made a huge mistake.

I gathered the only things I really cared about them and packed them in a small bag. I then left my flat, locking it behind me. I walked all the way to Raoul's family mansion with determination. I was ready to face him. I knocked on the door, gathering all of my courage. A maid answered the door.

"Where's Raoul?" I asked. The maid shuddered at the mention of his name.

"The kitchen," she replied. I nodded in appreciation, steeled my resolve, and walked inside. I squared my shoulders and found my way to the de Chagny kitchen, where I saw Raoul drunkenly slumped over the kitchen table. I didn't hide my disgust.

"Raoul!" I exclaimed, hoping the volume of my voice hurt him. "Why in the world have you been drinking this early in the morning? It's 8:00 A.M.!"
His head shot up from the table and slowly turned towards me like a creepy doll.

"Why have I been drinking? Y-you want to know why I have been drinking? I'll tell you why I've been drinking, Christine," he said slowly, getting up from the table and staggering towards me.

"We've been engaged for over a year! You refuse to marry me or even tell me why you refuse! You're hung up on an ugly monster who brainwashed you your entire life! I HAVE NEEDS TOO CHRISTINE! So that's why I've been drinking, you selfish wh—" but before Raoul could finish his sentence, I had already slapped him across the face.

"How dare you insult me and the man I love! How dare you accuse me of this! You have no idea what I've gone through! You're the selfish one here, and I refuse to take part in this any longer. We're through!" I yelled, and threw the engagement ring at him in fury. Then I spun on my heel and walked away, feeling angry and free. Adrenaline was coursing through my veins, and I couldn't stop the triumphant smile from forming on my face. I wasn't sure where to go next, so I just let my feet and God lead me. I got strange looks from people on the streets, but I didn't care. All that mattered was that I was now free.

My feet lead me to the deserted Opéra Populaire. I knew in my heart this is where I belonged. I slowly and carefully walked inside. It was dark and musty and eerily quiet. The only sounds at all were the sounds of my footsteps echoing. Everything was a mess. The chandelier had completely destroyed the stage and the house, and it was no longer the beautiful establishment it once was. I found my way to my old dressing room where the mirror stood open. I followed the path down to Erik's lair, knowing that if he wasn't there I'd be fine. Just knowing he used to be there was enough to feel close to him. Heck, worse come to worse I'll be the new Opera Ghost of the abandoned theatre. When I reached the lake, the boat stood there, unused. I felt a tear slip down my face as memories flooded back to me of that traumatizing night. I had betrayed the only person I had ever loved truly, and I had no idea of it. I took the boat and rowed my way to Erik's house on the lake. I was surprisingly calm, even as adrenaline still coursed through my veins. When I finally reached the house, I left the boat and slowly walked inside. It was just as I had remembered it. I heard a small noise come from within. Curious, I followed the noise. It lead to to the kitchen, where to my horror I saw Erik standing there, about to plunge a knife deep into his chest.

"NO!" I screamed and ran at him. He slowly turned his head toward me and stared at me with blank, dead eyes.

"How fitting that you shall plague my dreams as I'm about to end my suffering since you are the root of all of it," he said so quietly I almost didn't hear what he said.

"Erik, it's really me. I'm here for you now! Please don't do this, I couldn't bear it," I cried, reaching out to him.
He merely glanced at me.

"If it is you, where have you been for the past year? Why have you betrayed me and left me? I know I let you go, but I'm the only one who could have EVER loved you as much as I do!" He asked, anger flooding him.

"I know and I'm sorry, I made a horrible mistake. But I'm here now!" I exclaimed, tears streaming down my face.

He just looked at me, and with resolve he shook his head.

"LIAR!" He screamed before he retracted his knife farther so he could plunge it deep into his chest.

"NO!" I screamed again and ran to put myself between him and the knife.
"I WON'T LET YOU DO THIS!"

We were so close, I could feel it. His heart was pumping wildly at the closeness. My heart was beating so fast you could almost see it on my skin. I felt electric as I was this close to him, but it didn't matter. All that mattered is that that knife never found Erik's heart.

"If you want to kill yourself, you must kill me first," I said quietly, my voice only shaking a little. His hand holding the knife shook. After several agonizing minutes, he spoke:

"Christine?"