Chapter 14: "You're doing what?" ✔

It had been a long day so far and it was only midday. Sill six hours of my shift left to go.

I was standing by the bed of Joe Cruz who had been brought in after a bad call last night. We was passing joked back and forward as I looked over his chart.

"So, Doc, what's the prognosis?" I heard a voice asked and I turned around to see Kelly stood by the door. I looked at him, giving him a serious look.

"I'm afraid it's bad news, we did a CT scan and we got the results back." I told him, trying my best to keep a straight face as Kelly's face fell.

"What? What's wrong?" He asked now concerned.

"We couldn't find his brain." I sighed, shaking my head.

For a second Kelly looked worried, but then he seemed to click on to the joke as his looked at me annoyed, a slight smirk on his face.

"I hate you." He grumbled.

"You love me, I'm great." I smiled innocently.

"Keep thinking that Doc." Kelly rolled his eyes, walking into the room more.

"Joe is fine, in fact I was just about to grab the paper work to kick his ass out of here." I smiled.

"Wow, feel in the love AJ." Joe huffed playfully. I sent him a wink and then left to grab the paperwork.

Once Joe had signed everything and he had left I stood at the front desk chatting with Maggie when I felt my phone buzz.

"Matt?" She chuckled as she rearranged files and things in the desk.

I looked down at my phone and shook my head when I saw the senders name.

"Jay."

"Jay Halstead?"

"Yeah, we're friends, we talk sometimes." I shrugged. Walking away to look take a break.

Jay: hey, you free tonight AJ?

AJ: yeah, why, what's up?

Jay: was wondering if wanted to grab drinks after your shift? I kinda need to talk.

AJ: Sounds worrying but OK

Jay: you finish at six?

AJ: I do

Jay: meet me at Molly's as soon as you're done.

AJ: I'll be there, but make sure I have a beer waiting

Jay: will do

I locked my phone and put it in my pocket, letting my mind wonder a million times a minute.

What could he want to talk about with me? Was it something bad or good?

I decided to just get on with my busy day.

After my very stressful day, I tiredly trudged into the locker room where I was greeted by a strangely cheery Will.

"AJ!"

"William...Why so cheerful?" I sighed as I pulled my clothes out of my locker. I heard April and Ethan laugh, and Natalie looked over nodding, obviously agreeing with my question.

"I'm happy. Sue me." He shrugged

"You and Matt hanging out?" Nat asked from her locker and I shook my head.

"No, Jay asked me to meet him for a drink, said he had something to talk about." I shrugged as I changed into my mundane clothes.

"To talk about what?" Will asked confused.

"I dunno, didn't say." I shrugged as I shoved my crap in my bag and grabbed my jacket.

"Well, have fun, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye guys!" I smiled at everyone waving goodbye as I exited the room.

"Bye!"

I left the building and over to my car, climbing in and starting my journey to Molly's.

The drive wasn't that long so I didn't bother putting my music on, I just sat in silence until I pulled up outside of the bar and climbed out.

I walked into the bar and spotted almost immediately. Walking over I noticed a beer eating on the table.

"Hello my lovely!" I gushed as I sat down and took the beer.

"Hello to you too." He chuckled and I swallowed my mouthful, looking it him confused.

"Oh, I was talking to the beer." I joked. Jay laughed and nodded.

"So, you wanted to talk?" I asked as I took another sip of my beer.

"Yeah, so, I'm gonna be away for a while." He told me and I rose an eyebrow.

"Where you going?" I asked curiously but he shrugged.

"I don't know."

"How can you not know where you're going?" I asked confused.

"I'm going undercover."

"You're doing what now?"

"I'm going undercover and I haven't been told yet and I won't know until a get there."

"Oh, OK." I nodded. "So how long you gonna be gone?"

"Maybe A few weeks. Maybe a few months. I don't quite know" He shrugged.

"Wow, that long." I huffed.

"Yeah, so I wanted to meet up before I head off. You know, hang out."

"When are you going?"

"I leave tomorrow. Hence meeting up tonight." He smiled.

"Well, I'm gonna miss you Jay. How about when you get back, we hang out again?"

"IF I make it back. I'll buy you dinner."

"Like a date?" I asked, a little caught of guard

"Exactly like a date." He smirked and I nodded.

"OK, deal. You make it back alive and I'll go out with you." I grinned, holding my beer up. He tapped his against mine and we took a drink, sealing our plans.