Twenty-Two

"Are you ready" the guy I barely know but has the life of the girl I think I love in his hands asks me. I look down at Ella, breath is barely escaping her lips. She shudders again, this time  violently.
"Yeah" I whisper. My "job" is to keep Ella calm when they wake her up. She is apparently going to be in excruciating pain, but they will need her to focus on using her powers to see if they have revived them. I'm not sure the exact logistics, I just know this is her only shot at living.
"Ok on my count" the guy says "one...two...three". Ella's eyes flash open and she begins to writhe in pain. I grab her hand.
"Hey Ella your ok your going to be ok" I say. She doesn't seem to hear or understand what I'm saying, her eyes are darting around the room. She is panicking and her body is violently shuddering.
"You need to hurry" the guy yells "if you don't hurry she will essentially short circuit and we will loose her."
"Ok I'm trying" I snap back. She still isn't focusing on me. I reach my hands up and hold her face. "Hey" I murmur so only she can hear me. Her eyes start to settle on me. "Your ok you. There going to get your powers back, but you need to focus." She begins to squirm again more violently this time. "Ella look at me. Focus on me." Her body keeps moving but her eyes are fixed on me begging for help. "Hey remember prom. Think about prom. Think about dancing with me under the lights while we forgot about our lives. Come on El focus for me." Her body settles and her hand reaches for mine gripping it tight.
"Ok Ella we need to test a few things" the guy says. Ella's eyes don't leave me as he walks her through various test of her powers. After what feels like forever there done. An unconscious state over comes her, but just before her eyes close they fill with the wheel of color that represented her abilities.
Ella's POV
My body aches everywhere, and my head is pounding. I haven't even been able to muster the strength to open my eyes yet. I don't know where I am, or even remember much of what has happened. The last thing I can recall is Liam talking to me, but I don't really remember anything he said I just remember him being there. I peel open my eyes the room I'm in is dim and small. There is a tiny window on the wall next to me, it looks like it's either early in the morning or late at night I can't tell. Besides the constant pain I feel warm and my body feels still. In the corner next to my bed is a chair with a a large dark object in it. It moves and I jump. The movement hurt and I wince air hissing through my teeth. The object moves more.
"Hey your awake." Liam's mumbles. His voice is deep and scratchy from sleep, but a wave of relief flashes over me that it's him. He moves to my bed, barely sitting on the edge. He's looking at me like I'm about to shatter.
"Stop" I say glaring at him.
"What" he responds with a small laugh.
"Stop looking at me like I'm about to keel over and die" his face falls and he turns away. Jeez someone's sensitive. "I was just kidding" I mumble.
"Yeah I know I'm sorry" he says his voice cracking. "It's just that two days ago you were about to die." He blinks back tears as he stares at the floor. He looks tired like he hasn't slept in days. He looks clean though like he recently showered, his clothes are new. He's wearing a black jacket with some weird symbol on the back. That's when I realize.
"So we must have gotten to the camp" I ask
"Yep. This is it" he sighs looking  around the room.
"Well what's it like." I ask but before he can answer the door swings open and some guy I don't recognize strides in.
"I see your awake" he says looking at the machines I'm hooked up to and writing things on the clipboard in his hands.
" Uh yeah" I stutter not sure what's going on.
"Oh sorry" the guy says "I'm Nate. I specialize in healing and researching you kids with powers.  I work here at the camp." I just nod taking it all in. "We were able to get all your powers back, but it wasn't easy and your going to have a tough recovery." I had forgotten about the powers thing. I want to know more about what happened, and talk to Liam more, but I'm getting tired again which is weird after just waking up. "You need you rest" Nate says sharply "I'll be sending someone in to run a few physical tests, but after that you really should sleep. And you Liam you need your rest too you should return to your cabin" he says holding the door open waiting for Liam to leave.
"Can't I just stay with Ella and sleep in the chair" Liam's pleads.
"No you both really need to get good rest and sleep in a bed." Replies Nate.
"Ok, can you give us a minute"
"Yes but hurry" he says walking out the door. Liam returns to my side and grabs my hand gingerly.
"I'll be back in the morning" he says caressing my fingers.
"Ok you have to come tell me everything about the camp" I reply smiling.
"Deal." He says mirroring me smile "I'll bring chubs and Zu with me" he stares at me a second longer before he leans down and kisses me softly. I'm still absorbed in the kiss when he  quietly slips out the door. I lay back against the pillows waiting for the nurse or whoever is supposed to be testing me. The door bursts open and in walks Cassie. The girl I stole the map from at the prom.