But it is really limited for you to investigate whether they were doing it here, the one about using humans as a test subject for experiment or not. For all you know, they could test it on an animal. But Ranpo has given you plenty of clues, and this case would be solved once you settle on the pieced all the puzzled together.

(A/N: I actually have forgot a lot of details for the plot in this story since I last write it so from here on, I will cut the case short and move to next scene as this chapter was supposed to focus on Kyouka. Lmao, I also have no idea what I'm writing anymore.)

Reading the report again, you have to make sure if they are fabricating the real clinical research on the company's new drug or not. And for that, you really need to meet with the one who directly involved in it. But if the case they are not here, or they really hiding something...

"What's the matter, (Name)-san?" Kyouka asks as you were deep in thought.

"Oh? They are not letting us to investigate throughout the place. My warrant here does not include to make a whole inspection but just to interrogate. But it is no doubt they are hiding something."

"Then... why don't you let me infiltrate inside?"

"Um... infiltrate? Why are you suggesting that?"

"Because that's what I do. The first mission I have is to infiltrate a building and I ki--, I mean, this won't be a problem for me. I will do my best." She said assertively to you.

"We will get in trouble if you get caught though, the idea itself is dangerous." And she's supposed to be escorting you, but now she's offering her aid. Her intention is noble, but that idea seems to be extreme that you can't help but sweatdrop.

"Is that so? Then... I have just the right idea to prevent that." Kyouka said, suggesting something.

You look at her and ask, "What is it?"

"I will create a decoy, so we can infiltrate without getting caught."

"You can? But there's surveillance camera here..."

"That won't be a problem. Just give me a moment, and I will let you investigate the place that you want." She excused herself before you could stop her and leave, prancing on her little feet. You wonder what she was planning, or should you really stop her or not.

'This... nothing bad will happen, right?' You ask that to yourself, feeling a bit perturbed. It was not wrong that she has a strong will for her job, that's understandable since she really determined to be with the side of justice. Really, she is really something. The way her eyes glittered with hope and determination really touch you dearly that you just want to embrace and squeezed the life out of her, telling her that everything will be alright. You smile ironically to yourself; look can really be deceiving. If no one knows who she really is, they will think that she was just an ordinary demure girl wearing a beautiful red yukata. You wait until she came back again with whatever she has planned before but then you were startled by the sudden alarm from the building.

Krinnnngggggggg!!! Krinnnngggggggg!!!

The alarm ring loudly that it almost deafened your eardrums, you put your hand to cover your ear with the piercing shrilling sound.

"Fire? There's fire? Everyone, evacuate now!" Said one of the workers inside the building in dreadful alarm. A second later the fire sprinkle shower the place and you look up at the ceiling with a dumbfounded expression as it wet you down.

Wait a minute...

Is this...

"Don't tell me..." You wanted facepalmed yourself so badly when you realized it. The people inside the building all were in great turmoil and evacuate through the stairs in haste, leaving whatever they were doing before, some of them were even tugging you to leave as you were just standing to evacuate the place as well but you duck them and went to hide at the secluded place that you won't get damper from the sprinkle.

Kyouka came back and she looks like she just accomplished a great achievement.

"(Name)-san, quick before they come back and realize it was a false alarmed."

"W-what did you do?" Although you could generally guess, the question still left from your mouth in incredulity.

"I punch the alarm ring glass and start a fire near the smoke detector and disable the wire for the surveillance cameras. That way, no one will interrupt or get in the way for your investigation until it was over." She said with a straight face, but with proudness glittered in her eyes.

'That way, I can help you without getting anyone kills and proves that I am not just a mere assassin.'

Ah... although she's supposed to be a former assassin... she's so... so unbelievably precious! You clutch your heart. You wanted to hug her right now and you can feel that you are internally dying with her extreme cuteness. But now is not the time.

"Kyouka-chan," You put your hand on her shoulder, and looking at her with a forced smile, "Forget about the investigation. Let's scram from this place before we get sued."

*

You bring Kyouka back to the agency. She seemed down and only look at her lap most of the time during the drive, reflecting whether she had made a big mistake. You were awfully quiet as well as your mind was ransacking on what excuse to make to your Chief later on. But you did not blame the fault to her, if anything...

You can't hold in the chuckle any longer, "Ahahahaha! S-seriously! Ahahaha!"

She titled her head and look at you as if you just grow a second head for suddenly laughing. What is it that was so funny? Kyouka was visibly confused. She thought that you would get angry and disappointed in her.

"What's wrong, (Name)-san?"

Wiping the small tear that formed at the corner of your eyes, you tried to calm your giggle down.

"Nothing, nothing. It just, how do I say this... I was initially wary with you at first, but now I just realize how prejudice and silly I was."

"Urm... you are not mad?"

"Mad? Why would I be? If you mean about the facility, I will try to explain it with my chief. But it's nothing serious, so don't worry about it too much." You assured her.

"Then... your investigation... because of me..." She murmured, still looking at her lap.

Ah, she really blamed herself for it. "Don't worry about it too. I can continue it later with no... false alarm involved." You said carefully and cackle, "And next time I will bring the whole team for the whole inspection. I didn't interrogate them without obtaining new information, you know. Didn't I say that everything we see can be count as evidence? Plus, you are helping a lot too."

She lifts her head to look at you with her inquisitive eyes.

"Really?"

"Yup."

"But what did I do?"

"Seeing your steel resolution really motivated me to work hard and change my view. I would like to show you more of how the prosecutor does their work but first... we probably have to face some... scolding from our boss." Saying that awkwardly, you can feel the impending doom waiting for you to face your chief later on. But really, today is not really a bad day. If anything, you learn a new side of Kyouka. Had she didn't come along with you; you probably won't know what kind of person she truly is. What Dazai said has it right too.

In your heart, you secretly thanked Ranpo for this chance.

But that just makes you question something else...

Did he know this will happen?

--

Guys, sorry for the delayed update since I've been busy with my other book. There might be some plot hole or inconsistency later on, cuz I'm so lazy to re-read this whole thing to remember stuff orz so pardon in advance if I fail to live up your expectation. I will try to speed up the update as I want to focus on other books later.

Also, really, thank you so much for 8k reads and your continuous support!