Gone

Katherine went to the palace with Charles several days later as requested by Henry. Charles knew that she would be kept safe if he was needed in meetings. Neither of them noticed the man in the shadows watching them. Katherine watched the exchange between Charles and Henry.
"Lady Brice."
"Yes?"
"There is someone that wishes to speak to you."
"Who?"
"Please follow me."
Katherine looked toward Charles and Henry. Both noted she was walking away with someone.
"Where is she going?"
"I do not know. I will have the guards follow her so she is safe." Henry told him. Henry motioned for two guards to follow. The two guards walked quickly around the corner and no one was there. One of the guards turned around and hurried back into the main chamber.
"Your majesty, she's gone."
"What?" Charles asked.
"Lady Brice is gone."
"Search everywhere. Find her." Henry shouted at them.
"Yes your majesty." They rushed from room. Charles looked over at Henry.
"What the hell?"
"I am still having issues with the Boleyn's seems that because of that they have taken it out on Katherine."
"She has done nothing to them. Why would they even try, and here at the palace?"
"I have no reason for it. But they will search room to room. There has been an announcement sent to the gate all carriages are to be search as well wagons, no one will leave here without being checked."
"Thank you Henry."
"She is my cousin."
"I know." Charles moved away from Henry. Henry reached out and grabbed his arm.
"Let them find her."
"I have to help."
"You would kill someone."
"And they would deserve it." Charles said matter of factly.
"They would but beheading would a finer punishment." Henry told him. Charles knew that he wanted to help he needed to find her. He finally resigned himself to wait.
Charles noted that it had been two hours since they had last seen Katherine. Charles looked up as guards entered the room, they stepped aside and Katherine appeared next to them. Charles ran toward her.
"Katherine." He said gathering her into his arms. Katherine held onto him and cried.
"Did they hurt you?"
"No. Scared but no they did not harm me."
"My lovely Irish rose." He said to her, Katherine saw Henry walk toward them. Henry looked at them.
"Its good to see you are safe."
"Thank you, your majesty."
"Come cousin, let's get you something to drink. Then tonight we will have a banquet in honor of your safe return."
"Henry you don't have to."
"Yes I do. You have been hurt so much and I have to make it up to you."
"If this what you want to do."
Katherine smiled and knew they meant well.
"I will take Katherine back to my estate to ready, especially since her dress is dirty."
"Alright, I will see you both this evening."
Charles held out his arm to Katherine and led her from the room. There was a carriage waiting for her outside. He climbed into it with her, he took her hand in his and looked down at her red wrist. He brought her wrist to his lips and kissed it, and did the same to the other one.
"You scared me."
"I'm sorry."
"You know you didn't do it on purpose. Henry and I will be keeping a closer eye on you."
"What about them Boleyn's?"
"That's the reason. Henry is ready to take another wife. It seems they have fallen out of favor with the king."
"I hope so that woman was almost evil, and very mean to me."
"Yes I know. I ordered you a new dress. It should be there when we arrive."
"That is too much."
"Katherine not for you. How long have you been with the court?"
"I came to be with the court about six maybe eight months ago. Why?"
"I was just asking. I care deeply for you."
"I do you as well." Katherine said with a smile. They arrived at the estate and he helped her from the carriage. He brought her inside.
"Has Lady Katherine's dress arrived?"
"Yes your grace."
"Perfect, please draw a bath for her and help her into the dress and pull up her hair. Make sure to replace her necklace and earrings."
"Yes your grace."
They led Katherine from the room. Charles looked up as one of the female servants came from the other room.
"My lord."
"Yes?"
"You might want to come here."
"What's wrong?" He asked following behind them. They were just adjusting Katherine's dress when he saw what they were pointing out.
"Oh my god. Finish getting her ready, make sure she wears something to cover her back. I will talk to the king when we get to the palace."
"Yes your grace."
He waited and once they had pulled her hair up he walked up behind her and placed his hands on her shoulders.
"Are you ready."
"Yes, I am." She answered taking his offered hand. Charles led her to the waiting carriage and they headed back to the palace.
"You look beautiful."
"Thank you. Why did you pick this color?"
"It matched your eyes." He said bringing her hand up and kissing it. Katherine looked at him and smiled. When they arrived at the palace they walked into the main hall and toward where the king and queen were. Charles looked at Henry as they approached, Henry stood and moved around the table, which seemed to almost anger Anne. Katherine bowed to her and turned to Charles and Henry.
"Charles what's wrong?"
"We need to speak privately." He said to him. Henry looked at him and nodded leading him to a side room. Katherine watched them walk toward the side door, she waited with the two guards.
"What is wrong Charles?" Henry asked
"She has bruises Henry."
"Where?"
"Along her back. She didnt say anything."
"How bad?"
"Henry it was bad. I have had them cover it so they wouldn't be seen."
"Does she know that you've seen it?"
"I don't think so. I do not want her hurt any more. Are the Boleyn's so cruel that they would continue to take out their misfortune on her?"
"I do not know. But it will stop, for now never let her out of your sight, I will send extra guards to your estate to keep her safe while you are here."
"I will agree with that." Charles said to him.
"Enjoy this night and then take your lady home and keep her safe."
Charles nodded and followed Henry from the side room, he walked up and took Katherine's hand in his own and led her to the table they would be sitting at. He held her hand bringing it to his lips and kissing it. He would take her back to the estate and make sure she was safe. It was his upmost priority to keep her safe.