A Dukes Anger

Katherine sat eating small amounts of meat and fruit. She hadnt much of an appetite but it was true she was still needing to eat. Justina looked at Katherine and sat down.
"Are you alright my lady?"
"Yes I am fine."
"Have you seen lord Brandon since he left?"
"No, I suspect he is looking to find out who ordered what happened."
"Yes my lady. There is a rumor of who may have ordered it."
"Who?"
"The rumor is that Thomas Boleyn ordered it after you had been removed from his daughters service."
"Truly?"
"Yes my lady. The Boleyn family is already starting to fall from grace with the king."
"Has anyone told the king?"
"Those that have heard the rumors dare not speak of it."
Both women talked quietly about what was being done, Justina looked toward the door and stood to see who was arguing with the guard outside when the door sprung open and Thomas Boleyn stormed in.
"Why are you here?" Katherine asked standing.
"You speak ill of your queen."
"I speak ill of no one much less the queen. Please leave." Katherine stated looking at him. He moved so he was standing in front of her, his hand moved and he backhanded her knocking her to the floor.
"Know your place girl." He said to her, Katherine looked toward the door to see Charles standing there, he grabbed Thomas by the arm and spun him around.
"How dare you strike a woman. No matter her station and she is no longer in the queen's employ. That also means you should not be here. I will notify the king of this." Charles said shoving Thomas away from him, he walked over and held his hand out to Katherine helping her to her feet. He was thankful that there was no bruise this time, he walked her to the door and looked at the guard.
"Be sure that he is never allowed back in again."
"Yes your grace."
Charles walked Katherine down the hallway and outside. She looked at him oddly but held his arm.
"Are you alright?"
"Yes, thank you." Katherine said as he walked them around large pond.
"I will have to talk to speak to the king about this."
"Its only going to make things worse." Katherine told him, Charles had her look at him, the smile that had been in her eyes and on her face was gone again. She asked him not to say anything but it was something Boleyn wasn't getting away with. Charles looked to see Henry walking alone , Charles held Katherine close as he walked toward Henry.
"Good day your majesty." Charles said as they both bowed. Katherine looked at Henry and gave a weak smile to him.
"How are you feeling today Lady Brice?"
"Better your majesty." Katherine answered. Even Henry could see something was wrong.
"Charles has something happened?"
"I found Lord Boleyn in Lady Brice's chambers, he had struck her."
"Lady Brice, is this true?"
"Yes your majesty."
"Did he tell you why he had come?"
"I was told I needed to learn my place."
"That was unnecessary. I will deal with it."
"Everytime something is dealt with your majesty, I end up with the worst end of it."
"I will be sure that you do not."
"As you wish your majesty."  Katherine said to him, Henry kissed her hand and then looked at Charles.
"Take care of her Charles."
"I shall your majesty." He answered. Henry turned and walked away from them. Charles held out his arm to her again and they continued their walk, he felt that maybe the walk would make her calm down. Katherine leaned into his arm, he put his arm over her shoulders and held her close to him. Charles stopped and faced Katherine, he cupped her face in his hands and leaned down and kissed her deeply.
"I will keep you safe." He said holding her close. Katherine held onto him and sighed, she hoped it was a promise he could keep.
"I know you will."
"The king wants to have a jousting tournament soon, maybe you can come watch."
"I would like that." She answered him.
"Come, I don't want you to catch a chill. You've been through enough without becoming sick."
"Yes I know." Katherine said to him. He led her back inside, and looked to see two palace guards following behind them.
"By kings orders?"Charles asked.
"Yes your grace."
Charles nodded and continued to Katherine's chambers.
"My lady I will leave you this evening."
"Please stay." She said holding his hand, he nodded and followed her into her chambers.
"Justina. Justina?" Katherine called out to the young woman. She looked toward Charles concerned. Katherine walked around the chamber looking for her. Katherine's scream echoed in the chamber, Charles ran to where she was and stopped behind her, at her feet was the bloody body of her helper Jusine.
"Guards." Charles called out. The two guards that had been outside came running in.
"Please remove this body and fetch the king and have someone come clean this."
"Yes your grace."
Charles didn't want to sound heartless but he couldn't leave the body laying there. Charles led Katherine away from the side room. He brought her to the chairs near the fire and had her sit down. Charles looked up as Henry came almost running in.
"What happened?"
"We returned to her chambers and her lady was dead. Someone came in and killed her while we were outside."
"May I ask you something your majesty? "
"What is that my lady?"
"How did you know my father?"
"Your father is one of my cousins."
"Is that why you are so concerned about me?"
"In a way. Charles likes you and will take great care of you."
"Thank you your majesty."
"We should find you other chambers."
"I'm fine here." Katherine spoke softly. 
"I'll stay with her Henry."
"Alright. Let them clean the mess and then she can return to her chambers."
"I will have us go for a short walk."
"Come we will go walk together." Henry said to them. Charles nodded and led Katherine from the room as Henry led the way through the halls. Charles knew that Henry loved evening walks and knew that meant they were going outside. Charles removed his outer jacket and placed it on Katherine. It would be a chilly walk but maybe it would help her sleep.