9.

As Colby sat across the dining room table from Olive, she was busy coloring in her little notebook.

You would think after all these years it would've finally set in that he actually had a daughter. That he'd successfully raised a beautiful, healthy daughter. Sure it wasn't easy and he messed up more times than he could count but at the end of the day all that mattered was that Olive was happy and healthy.

"Did you know that Rebecca had a baby?" She asked and Colby nodded

"I did" he said

"And the baby is where my mom is" she added and Colby nodded once more

"how about we talk about something else.." he tried to get off the subject but Olive wasn't having it

"No, you never want to talk about my mom and I want to know about her" she said

"Olive.." he tried to say but she got frustrated and walked off

Colby's head fell into his hands. He knew he'd eventually have to start answering questions, just not this early.

"She's just curious" Rebecca said walking up and wrapping her arms around his neck

"I wish she wasn't.." he shook his head "I'm not ready to answer these types of questions yet"

"And you never will be" she said "you just have to fight through it no matter how much it hurts"

"I don't know how your so optimistic about everything" he said and she laughed slightly

"Trust me, I'm definitely not" she said "I've just had my fair share of having to explain hard things when I don't want to"

"I guess I need to talk to her then" he sighed

Colby walked upstairs and went into Olive's bedroom. She was sitting on the floor, tears stained her face.

"Baby.." He said and sat next to her, he moved her so she was sitting on his lap

"I just wanted to know what my mom was like" she said quietly "I didn't know you would get that mad at me"

"I'm not mad, it's just some things hurt to talk about" he said "here look.." he stood up and grabbed her hand

He took her to his office and pulled a picture out of his drawer, it was a woman with blond hair and blue eyes just like the little girl's..

"Is that my mom?" She asked stunned as she took the picture into her own little hands

"That is.." he nodded

"She's really pretty" Olive said

"She was.." he nodded again as he tried to fight back tears "is there anything else you want to know?"

"Nope" she stated plainly "I just wanted to see what she looked like"

"Ok" Colby said relieved that he wouldn't have to answer questions

Olive happily ran off, satisfied with what she got. Colby looked at the picture of the woman he used to love but never got the chance to tell her. Now it was time to move on.. he loved Rebecca, he's told her.. he wasn't going to mess this up.

Rebecca popped her head in and he smiled..

"Have I ever told you how much I love you?" He asked and she looked at him confused "because I love you more than words could ever describe"

Rebecca walked over and laid her head on his chest, just listening to his heart beat..

"I love you, so much" she said and about that time, Olive ran in and squeezed her way in between them

"I love you too!" She smiled and Rebecca kissed her head "just as much as daddy does"

"Now that is where we butt heads little one" he laughed and scooped her up "You two are my world and I love you both endlessly"

"Forever?" Olive asked and he looked from her to Rebecca

"Until I take my last breath, I'll love you" he smiled