Hae Soo's Letter

"Hae Soo..." Wang So said the name only above a whisper. He and Jimong talked about her just before Baek-ah came into the royal courtroom. About letters that were piling up beside his table, that was waiting to be read by him. And now those two matters were combined into one issue. Hae Soo had written a letter to him.

"Yes," answered Baek-ah. "I visited Jung's exiled mansion before I came here. And she asked me to give you this letter."

"Why did you go there?"

"I will tell you the whole story later. I implore you to read the letter first, Pyeha." Baek-ah said rather desperately. Time was ticking and every second was precious. Hae Soo could be gone if they stalled too long with the twenty questions. He bowed his head to beg Wang So and also to emphasize his request.

Wang So focused back on the letter in his hand. This was the first letter Hae Soo ever wrote for him after she went with Jung. He traced the calligraphy in the envelope. Wang So knew that Hae Soo wrote with the same style as him. Looking at the letter and the calligraphy made him realize how he missed Hae Soo... how he longed for her to be inside his embrace again. He tore the envelope and pulled out the letter inside it. Carefully, Wang So opened the folded paper and after that, he began to read Hae Soo's letter.

"This letter will be the last letter that I will write to you. Truthfully, I don't even know what I should write to you again in this letter. In those letters I have written and sent to you, I have poured out all the feelings that are slowly have been gnawing from inside and almost eating me away. Every time I wrote a letter, my mind always wander about your being. But mostly, I always wonder if you are still angry with me. The hurt in your eyes that I saw the last time we met, I want to make amends for it. In one of my letters, I wrote that the opposite of love is not hating, but forgetting and leave someone. If you hating someone, you still have feelings for that person, but if you forget someone, that person has completely gone from your mind and in the end, you will leave it behind. Since came to this place, I have never forgotten things that happened between us and cherishes them very much. All of those things make me realize, how I miss you very much. How I long to see you again. I don't have much time left and before I go, I want to see you for the last time. So, please, can you come and meet me for the last time? This will be my last request and I hope that you will consider granting it. I will wait until my last breath of your arrival. I will wait for you, my Fourth Prince. Hae Soo. "

Jimong and Baek-ah waited patiently beside Wang So until he finished reading the letter. His eyes moved from word to word and he contorted his face when he read the first sentence. As he finished reading the letter, his hands were shaking a bit and he looked up to Baek-ah with a lost expression.

"Baek-ah," Wang So called his brother's name shakily. "What does this mean?" His head had begun pounding again. This time it was more painful than the previous one. "Can you... please explain to me what is happening?" Wang So's throat became dry when he asked Baek-ah of Hae Soo's letter. "What did she mean that she has sent my letters and-... and she doesn't have much time left?" His heart had also begun to beat faster, pounding inside his ribcage.

"Hae Soo is waiting for you," Baek-ah said solemnly. "Hae Soo is... She is... dying."

Wang So stood up and marched to Baek-ah. He grabbed his brother's collar and gripped it tightly. He glared at Baek-ah and shouted, "Don't you dare to say something ominous like that again!"

"But she is dying!" shouted Baek-ah with the same fervor. "I have met her and saw her with my own two eyes that she is on her deathbed. She doesn't have much time left."

"You're lying!"

"Hyungnim (Brother)!" Baek-ah addressed Wang So as his brother, not as the king. "Get a hold of yourself! Now is not the time for you to be distraught! Hae Soo is waiting for you and you should go to her right now."