- s i x t e e n -

Start from the beginning

His body tensed, in shock at her sudden action. However, he soon melted in her arms with his face in the crook of her neck. They stayed that way, in silence, while Reina stroked his head softly. "I know you're lying to me, but it's okay" 

"Do you want to talk about it?" She asked, slightly pulling away so he was an arm length away from her. He shook his head 'no' and she gave him a small smile, "Then you don't have to talk," she told him comfortingly.

He gave her a small, sad smile and a nod in gratitude at the girl. She pulled him back in again, and whispered in his ear, "It's okay James, you can cry"

She didn't get a reply, but instead felt the salty tears against her shoulder. Reina had never seen James this way. So sad and vulnerable, stripped of his cocky demeanour and his mischief fuelled smiles.

She rubbed his back and gave it a slight tap, an indication that he should pull away. He looked at her with a downcast face, eyes red with tears.

Reina really didn't like this sight, in fact, she hated it.

Lacing their fingers together, she walked out of the tower, pulling James along with her.

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

THE PAIR STOPPED IN FRONT OF AN EMPTY WALL ON THE SEVENTH FLOOR. Reina had a determined face, whilst James had a solemn and confused one. He wanted to ask what in Merlin's name she was doing, when she began to pace down the corridor, however, he couldn't find the energy to speak.

A rare thing for James Potter.

He was about to comment on her absurd actions, but was immediately shut up when a large and intricate door appeared on the once bland wall. His mouth was agape as Reina once again held his hand and led him through the grand door.

She smiled at the boys amazed expression, it was nice to see the sad look on James's face dissolve, even if it was only for a short moment.

"What is this place?" James asked as he took in his surroundings with an astonished face.

"Welcome to the Room of Requirement, Mr James Potter." she said in a posh accent. He looked at her, amazement still on his face. "I come her from time to time, I find it's much quieter than the library," she informed.

She showed him around, their hands still linked together. "I found it in my fourth year, nearly pooped my pants when the door appeared" she joked, trying to lighten the mood. He smiled ever so slightly at her, appreciative that she took the time to cheer him up.

Reina led him over to a plush looking couch, that sat in front of the roaring fire. "So do you wanna tell me what caused you, the pranking king, to be so sad?" She asked, tilting her head in a way that, to James, made her look like a curious puppy. He smiled slightly before clearing his throat.

"Just a letter from my mum," he told her briefly. She raised an eyebrow at him in a way that told him to elaborate, so he did.

"I'm so tired Reina," he said sadly, a complete change of tone from before.

"I'm tired of just being known as the son of the chosen one," he begun, his voice cracking ever so slightly, "The immature first born that just can't do any right in the eyes of his parents,"

She grabbed his hand as an act of comfort, calming him down a little bit.

"I'm tired of everyone expecting me to be the best, to be perfect at everything," he finished, his voice now soft and solemn.

"Hey," she said softly and he adverted his gaze to the fluffy rug that was illuminated by the flames. "James, look at me" she gently put her hand on his cheek, making him look at her.

"Forget about what everyone thinks that they know about you, if you know yourself, that's all that matters" he smiled weakly at her words. Truth be told, he didn't even know who he was anymore.

"You are amazing James, don't forget that," she whispered kindly to the boy in front of her. He leaned into her hand ever so slightly, savouring her touch.

"And if anyone tells you any different, I'll beat them to a pulp," she joked, retracting her hand. He laughed heartily, an action that put a smile onto the girls face.

Reina lent forward and kissed his cheek lightly, "Remember, if you need anyone to speak to, I'll always be here"

He smiled at the girl, the sorrow he had previously felt, completely evaporated away.

"Do you wanna stay here, or go back to the owlery?" She asked the now happy boy. He gave her a cheeky smile, one she didn't know that she missed.

"How about the kitchens?" He asked, a sense of mischief in his voice.

How could Reina say no to that gorgeous glint in his eye?