Sheildmaiden with the owl

Hvitserk was worried. You were a warrior, a famous one. So the fact that you had vanished and in a few minutes the raid of the town Bjorn was attacking would start worried him.

You were always sure to lead your shieldmaidens into battle. You weren't an earl or a queen but you had a large gathering who respected your battle victories. You never let them run into battle alone.

"Hvitserk?" You called as you found your way into his tent.

"(Y/N), where have you been? We only have a few hours!"

"I... was in the woods, trying to get the lay of the land. I found this."

Hvitserk paused as he poured you both drinks. Usually when you said that i meant that you were about to reveal some animals you'd found.

Despite people think of you as the fearless and tough warrior. It was quite the opposite. Hvitserk was proud that he was one of the few people who was allowed to really know you. But that did come with the double edged sword of your heart being given to any animal you found.

He watched as you set a rather flustered looking owl on the table. It looked up at Hvitserk with a rather confused look. He imagined he would be confused if you plucked him out of his home and swept him to some odd place.

"It is injured. I think it had been hunted but got away." You explained to Hvitserk.

Taking a seat at the table you started to gently look over the owl. Hvitserk joined you, providing it with some scraps of meat that had been left over from the meal, being sure to save enough food for you, a little for himself.

"It is young (Y/N). By the time we have healed it. It will be to tame to let it go."

"So we must give him a meal and set him off to his death?"

"No! The cages for the ravens are empty still. We could leave him in one on the boat while we battle. If you can raise it well, it will be good use to you. Besides Bjorn and Lagertha are fond of owls. Perhaps they shall see your rescue attempt as a good omen."

When you looked up at him and he smiled, still feeding the owl who was happy to snatch strips of meat from Hvitserk.

"You don't mind. You weren't happy last time."

"You allowed a mother wolf to have its pups in my home! Yes, having a pack of wolves who are friendly is... an asset to Kattegat at times but they almost devoured our goat herd. The owl will be much more help."

Hvitserk rolled his eyes when you hummed, recalling having to task your Sheildmaidens with taming and training the pack of wolves. They grew in number and now for a little food through the winter the wolves would help defend the town. During winter they helped hunt and seemed only to want to sleep by the warm fire of the main hall. At least it was not as disastrous as the bear you tried to heal.

You gently stroked the owl who tucked one wing in as it leant against you. "Hvitserk, (Y/N) are you ready?" Bjorn asked. He saw the owl on the table and sighed. "I will go and get Lagertha to fix that up. Thank the gods it is not the bear."

Hvitserk laughed at that and petted the owl. Lagertha was summoned and carefully splinted the owls wing and leg. He settled into the largest of the raven cages and then she gave you all leave to gather your warriors.

"An owl, it is a good omen. It's like you which is another." Lagertha said to you quietly as your Sheildmaidens flocked around you.