Chapter 6

TW: A character in this chapter has a severe flashback.

"Listen, listen, I know Heather is a bitch, I get it, trust me I really do, but,"

"No, you can't but me, Veronica, you don't exactly understand me and Heather's history together, you don't understand how many times I've given her a second chance."

Sighing, Veronica blew a piece of her hair away. "Okay, look, I get that, Heather has been an absolute bitch to me too, but we had a little talk and-"

"Is that why you left during lunch? To go talk to her? "

Veronica sighed. "No, Heather, she followed me out there."

" And why didn't you just send her back inside?"

"I tried to, Heather, I tried to, but I'm tired, okay? I am so tired of being angry at things I can't control, okay? So, will you please?" Veronica paused for a moment to see if Heather would cut her off again, to spout on about Veronica knew nothing and how Heather was irredeemable. To Veronica's surprise, she was met with silence.

"Okay, Heather is a very questionable person, I know, but she came to me, and expressed that she wanted another chance."

Silence.

"She, uhm, was very sincere in the way she told me about it."

More silence.

"Heather, are you stil-"

And then, Veronica heard it. Sobbing . Extremely quiet and soft, Veronica instantly assumed that Heather had muffled herself or the phone in some sort of way.

"Heather, are you okay?"

The sobbing slowed slightly. Sniffling, Heather choked out a reply. " I care about her, Veronica, I really do," Heather sharply inhaled. " I just don't want to go through it all again. "

Veronica bit her lip. She knew exactly how Heather felt. The countless nights she spent, sobbing over the loss of JD. How she wanted to hate him, desperately wanted to despise his existence , but couldn't stop her guilt from choking her, and bringing her into her own personal hell. It would've been so much easier if JD had just died. If he had ceased to exist. Veronica wouldn't have any guilt, she would have no questions in her mind, no doubts to cloud her conscious, no questioning of her own morals, her actions. She'd be free.

That must've been what Heather was feeling right now. The want to hate someone she once cared for. The urge to forget all the good moments with them. The desire to despise their existence and force their name to be the equivalent of sin.

But, how can one erase so many memories together? Vunerables shared and insecurities comforted. How could one possibly escape the seemingly endless guilt brought on by seeing that person suffering? It feels good, at first, to see that person suffer. To have their self-esteem driven into the ground and have doubts and insecurities cloud their mind. But afterwards? It was weird. To have that euphoria fade and guilt and questioning replace it.

"Heather, I completely understand ." Sighing, Veronica shifted the phone to her right ear. "But sometimes you need to forgive what you think is unforgivable."

"I get that." There was a brief pause, filled with nothing but sniffling. "I'll talk to her."

"And if she does revert back to her old ways, I'll break her fucking back, okay, Heather?"

Heather let out a slight chuckle at Veronica's comment. "Okay, Veronica. Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Heather."

The phone clicked and went dead. Veronica threw the phone back onto the receiver before rubbing her face with her hands. Her hand gave her a slight twitch as she sat it down on her thigh.