Chapter 20

TW: Mentions of self harm.

Veronica's fist never actually makes it to his chest, it's intercepted by JD's right arm flying up and grabbing it by the wrist before being thrown down.

"Really, Veronica? You're gonna do that now?"

Oh, Veronica wants to hit him so bad. She wants to scream at him, shove him into the ground, beat him, throw things at him, she wants to do so many things to him that would allow her to take out her anger on him. And with Heather having run off...

JD knew he shouldn't have followed Veronica. She's angry, she's attempted to hit him more than once, and she seems to be unreasonable. For all accords, JD should've just slammed his door shut after she turned on her heel and stomped away.

But he didn't.

And that would be the story of how he narrowly avoided getting a vase to the face. He just rounded the corner when Veronica chucked it. He dodged to the side almost immediately as the glass shattered against the wall and rained down. He shot her a delirious glare.

"Really?"

Veronica literally cannot explain it. She feels beyond reason and it makes her even more angry. Infuriated. Rage that she had been suppressing ever since Heather threatened her with social suicide at that party was now being given an outlet to be thrown at anyone and anything.

It just so happened that the one person she was the most angry at happened to be JD.

Why was she so angry? It was a multitude of things if she was being honest. JD being alive. Life not working out the way she wanted. JD being alive. JD being selfish. JD not being able to handle her needing space. JD. The fact that she was in love with him. JD. Taking a look at JD's face, anger creased deeply in his brows only furthered her fury.

Her hand quickly found another piece of vasery. She said no words as she picked it up to throw.

. . .

Heather's front door is unlocked, allowing Heather easy access into her home, and allowing her access to the absolute shit show that is JD and Veronica's fight. Upon shutting the door, Heather hears the sound of glass shattering from down the hallway. She glances in that direction, a bewildered look crosses her face as shouting immediately follows it.

Heather notices Heather enter and runs over to her instantly, grabbing her by the arm and yanking her over to the couch where she crouches down.

Heather looks at her with a delirious look. "How long have they been going at this?"

"Oh God," Heather shakes her head rapidly. "Since before I called you, and then the time you took to get here, so," Heather quickly adds everything together on her fingers. "Twenty minutes at the very least."

"Jesus Christ." Heather massages her face. The echo of glass shattering drifts into the living room. Heather motions towards the direction the noise came from. "How long have they been doing that?"
Heather presses her lips into a firm line and shakes her head. "The same amount of time."

Heather massages her face again. "Jesus fucking Christ." She shakes her head. "Do you know why they're at each other's throats?"

"Veronica keeps yelling about how he's selfish and needs to learn to fuck off, JD keeps yelling that she can't keep avoiding him and treating him like a secret, nasty stuff, basically."

Heather sighs. "The best thing we can do for them right no-" A glass flies into the living room and shatters not too far away from where Heather and Heather are crouching. Heather and Heather share a look. "The best we can do right now is to stay out of their way."