Chapter 14: The Mead of Poetry

Start from the beginning

"You weren't supposed to."

"But I do. Now, you can ask me direct questions instead of weaving an elaborate story with plot holes."

I blushed. "Well then what can you tell me about the weapons used by the Hooded Ones?"

"I am not a blacksmith and therefore, not quite well-versed with weapons. However, I can answer that question. The weapon is called xiyalor. Not the most popular weapon among Guardians. It was forged by the dwarf Galar – a master blacksmith – several centuries ago. He was assisted by a fairy, you see. A fairy's magic enchanted it and in turn, distinguished it from other normal weapons."

"But what is its purpose?"

"Why, I thought it was obvious. When it touches flesh, it draws all the blood. But it is not just that, it does worse. It is capable of absorbing not just blood, but also the energy – or life force, you might say – from the body. Some would go far enough to say it captures your soul. That is what makes it so dangerous. And cursed. It was never really used by the Guardians. They failed to understand the reason behind the creation of such a dangerous and atrocious weapon. They shunned it and its creator. However, this weapon was said to have fallen in the hands of cultist. Apparently, they started to use it to draw the blood and the life energy from a victim's body and then pour it in the altars of the demons they worshiped as a sort of sacrifice."

"That's awful!"

"Well, you can't expect cults to be rainbows and daisies."

I swallowed. I felt a familiar anger burn in my stomach. They used that weapon on my mother. They killed her, took her blood and her soul. I realised my hands were gripping the edge of the table and my knuckle had turned white. I promised her, promised myself, I would get back at them – the Hooded Ones for doing what they did to me, for depriving me from my only family. But right now, along with the anger and resentment, another thought had crept into my mind. A thought I was horrified I was even thinking about.

They took her soul...

Which could mean...

No, stop! I thought firmly. Now is not the time to think about it.

"Um, what does it look like?" I asked, pushing away the outrageous thoughts trying to invade my mind. "The weapon, xiyalor, I mean?"

"Oh it looks as normal as a kitchen knife," he replied with a chuckle. But then his voice dropped an octave, "Until it is used of course. When it touches skin, it glows brightly in an almost glowing azure colour."

I nodded and quickly thought of any more questions I could possibly ask. There was one, of course. The most obvious. But I doubted he would know the answer, despite claiming to know all sorts of things. But still, it couldn't hurt to try.

"By any chance, would you happen to know what the purpose behind its usage is? I mean, do you know why the Hooded Ones are using it? Why are they killing all these people?" And my mother, I thought.

He smiled at me, ruefully. "I wish I could tell you. But I can't. I've already said too much as it is. I can't afford to interfere more. That would ruin everything, the entire delicate balance. You must find that out for yourself."

"What balance? And if you don't know, you could just tell me instead of trying to look all mysterious and wise," I said and instantly felt a little guilty at my rudeness. After all, he had just helped me.

"I am mysterious and wise, Miss Young. How can you even assume that I would be anything but?" he said. I chuckled a little, relived he wasn't offended. I also observed how he carefully ignored my first question. I decided I shouldn't push it.