Seven - Unexpected Date

Seven – Unexpected Date

Right when I had changed into a simple sundress with ocean colors and my feet were strapped into white sandals, I made my way down stairs with my hair flowing behind my back. Nick and Ellie walked in right when I reached the bottom of the stairs. We knew each other long enough for not to knock anymore and just walk in.

“Rose.” Ellie blew out a low whistle as she took in my appearance.

“Mike told me to wear something casual… do you think this is good or is it too?” I wondered, biting down my bottom lip a little nervously. From the day that my eyes caught Mike, I hoped that he would ask me out on a date. And now, four years later, that moment has finally arrived.

“No, this is good. You look pretty,” Nick assured me. “Now take a breath before you’re gonna faint.”

I nodded my head and did as he told me. “I don’t know how long this is gonna take…”

“If something is wrong, we’ll call,” Ellie assured me. “Now go on that date and don’t worry about us. It’s not the first time we’ve watched your two little brothers.”

“It’s been a while actually since we last saw them.” Nick could barely finish his sentence when Sean and Vince suddenly came rushing around the corner and jumped onto him. “Boys,” he groaned as he was been tackled to the ground. “I wanted to say that I missed you, but I think I’m gonna take those words back.”

Ellie and I chuckled as we watched Nick trying to get up with two kids pinning him down. This happened every time they hadn’t seen each other for a while. Nick was like their big brother and they both looked up at him. It was so adorable.

“Rose.” Mike’s voice came from behind me, making me stop laughing and turn around to look at him. “You ready?” he asked.

I looked at Ellie, feeling my heart beating faster in my chest. She gave me a small nod. Ellie picked up Vince from Nick and took him with her into the living room; Nick followed her with Sean still clinging onto him.

“I’m ready.” I turned back to Mike, a smile forming on my lips. He returned the smile and we both walked out of my house. “Where are we actually going?” I asked as we approached his car.

“It’s a surprise.” He winked.

“What if I don’t like surprises?”

“Then we both have a problem,” he laughed.

I stopped by the door on the passenger side and went to open the door, but froze when Mike’s hand suddenly came over mine, both reaching for the door.

“Oh.” I suddenly started to blush.

Mike smiled at me, moving his hand so he was holding onto mine as he opened the door with his other hand. Without using a word, he helped me get in his shiny, silver car –even though I could get in easily by myself. He closed the door once he was sure I was good and walked around the car in a quick pace and got in behind the wheel.