Niece

"Oh good God!" Shouts a man rushing out of his car, who appears to have hit someone. It was brisk and foggy at an atrocious hour. 5 minutes past midnight a girl had been run over. Sally. Sally was her name and she was coming back home from a late party. She was reckless and nonsensical; Sally just decided not to look left nor right. And it cost her her life. She was a niece to Helen and Jeremy. On the day they heard the bad news, they did nothing. The next day, they did nothing. And the day after and so forth. They seemed to blame themselves at times, despite Sally not even being their responsibility. They thought that they weren't there enough for her. They were unusual people, Helen and Jeremy. The kind of people that anyone would choose to avoid. Helen and Jeremy believed in ghosts, paranormal activities and were conspiracy theorists. They pondered on the possibility of their niece becoming a ghost or something. They pondered and produced several common factors on ways to go into contact with a ghost.

"Helen, are you there? You haven't been talking to us or answering our calls lately." A woman speaks through the answer phone. "Look, we're sisters. We need to talk about this. I love you." She finishes. "Love you too." Helen replies to the phone. "Who are you talking to?" Jeremy asks as he walks through the door. "No one." Helen replies emotionless. "Anyway, I was thinking we try that mirror one, y'know like 'Bloody Mary'." He suggests. Helen doesn't answer him and goes up to their room. In there she starts sobbing, tearing up about their recent deceased. Jeremy just sits on their sofa, closes his eyes and imagines. He imagines what it would be like to see Sally again. Just one more time. That sweet, innocent smile of hers. Only 16 years of age and slayed by a car.

A few days later, and Jeremy talks into the mirror. He switches off all the lights in the house. Helen is taking some time off and staying with her sister. Jeremy is in their excessively enormous house isolated. He tours up to the mirror and chants his nieces name. "Sally. Sally. Sally" He repeats several times, sweating and actually feeling anxious. Suddenly, all the lights in the house turn on at once. All synchronised. And it wasn't just the lights that turned on. Everything electrical in the entire house became active! "Helen, is this you?" Jeremy shouts out, only for it to be echoed throughout the house. "Jeremy. Jeremy. Jeremy. Jeremy." Says a mysterious malevolent voice over and over. It only stops until Jeremy looks straight back at the mirror.

When he looks back into the mirror, Sally is there. Standing right behind him. He turns around, only to discover that she is only visible in the mirror. Jeremy starts smiling, and as petrified as he is, he begins to chuckle. "It worked." He laughs. Randomly, his pleasure turns into what seems like depression and the depression slowly turned into anger. Until his anger turned into fear. And the fear didn't change nor stop. "Why?" He asks rhetorically.

Helen returned the night after. As she was unable to find Jeremy, she assumed he was out. She wandered aimlessly into the bathroom. And in the bathroom lay a pale and dead Jeremy.